A question of speed and timing.

neato

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
I'm new to learning about RAM, so I have a few nitpicky questions that maybe you guys could help me with.

I'm looking at two Corsair 2 gig DIMM's. The first two are 800 mhz, with a timing of 4-4-4-12. On the other hand, I have two 1066 mzh (with something called E.P.P. Technology, matched memory solution), but with timings of 5-5-5-15, which as I gather, means greater latency and time for cycles. Would the increase in MHz be outweighed by this kind of step up in latency, or is the difference so small that this is laughable to consider?

Also, I'm working with a 32 bit system that I know won't recognize all 4 gigs of whichever speed I decide to put in, but I'm wondering if it will confuse or actually be worse to put in 4 gigs over 3. In other words, can it work against me to have 4 gigs in their instead of one 2 gig DIMM and one 1 gig DIMM?

Thanks in advance!

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Latency will not have a great impact on performence, so dont worry about that.. Its likely though, that the 800mhz ram at 4-4-4-12 will also run at 1066 with 5-5-5-15 anyway.. I would just get which ever memory is cheaper.. As for the 3 or 4 gigs question, dont worry that your running 32bit, just put in the 4gb.

TRENDING THREADS