Question A Question on What to Do With Old Drives

Oasis Curator

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
I currently have two drives attached to my PC:

1 x Samsung 840 - 500GB (operating system)
1 x Western Digital 2TB drive (Documents, Photos, Games, Downloads, Storage, Temp Storage for Backing Up)
- Storage is stuff I have to sort out / don't know what to do with. The Temp Storage for Backing Up is stuff waiting to be... surprise! archived (I don't keep my archiving / backup hard drives attached to my PC all the time - should I?).

I thought there wasn't much of a difference between SSDs and NVMe drives, but it seems I am wrong, so now considering adding one to my PC.
Can I partition them like any other physical drive?

I am thinking split a 1TB in half - 500GB for Windows and programs (currently using 103/465GB used) and 500GB for games (180/579GB used). Is that a wise choice?

The question is what I then do with the 500GB SSD.
They sell on ebay for around £30 - £50, which if more towards the £50 is perhaps worth doing but wondering if there is anything else I should consider doing with it? Perhaps as the "downloads" drive and give all the others a space bump?
I have a smaller, 128GB drive at my disposal for transferring large amounts of data around so don't need to keep it for that.

Thanks for reading.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you can use the 500 gb as off pc storage. fill it up, unplug it and put it in a drawer. if you need the data then plug it back in and restore the data.

important data should be in at least 3 places with one not attached to the pc and preferably not in the same location as the pc.

no one pays attention to this until a drive fails then it's all "OMG IT IS LIFE OR DEATH, HOW DO I GET MY DATA BACK FROM A DEAD DRIVE!???"

the answer will always be, you don't get it back, you restore it from a back-up :)

Reactions: Oasis Curator

Oasis Curator

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
you can use the 500 gb as off pc storage. fill it up, unplug it and put it in a drawer. if you need the data then plug it back in and restore the data.
Covered there.
My most important documents are stored on two different hard drives as well as the PC itself.
The absolute important photos are stored on DVD, Memory Stick, Backup 1, Backup 2, Cloud 1, Cloud 2 and also remain on the PC - 7 places so far :p

500GB isn't much space for games. I'd keep the other SSD for storing more games. Put the ones with longer load times on the NVMe and the others on the SATA SSD.
Perhaps so but currently my "games" drive is 180GB out of 579GB and it's been like that for quite a few years now. I don't really install lots of games.

Maybe I'll try selling it and if it doesn't get me enough cash then I'll use it as another backup for very long term storage.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
glad to hear you got back-ups in order. so many don't bother until it is too late.

i have a 240 gb sata ssd i wasn't using and i use it now as a drive for my vm's. it's nice to have them on a separate physical drive so they can do whatever and not bother the main hosts operations. :)