Oako123

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Well, basically I'm with Sky broadband. On my account page with them it's stating that the router is emitting 17mbps download speed, which is fine for me. However, when I conduct a speedtest (speedtest.com), I'm getting 2-5mbps - I'm using a wireless connection by the way. The question is, does my wireless adapter from my PC have anything to do with it? You see, it's about five years old and not a particularly good one at that.
If I were to get a more modern, decent-er wireless adapter are my download speed(s) more likely to reach what my router is emitting?
Thank you for your time. Any feedback is appreciated.

RealBeast

Titan
It's possible that your wireless connection is not optimal and is the bottleneck. To check, connect with an Ethernet cable to your router and run the speedtest.

As far as a new router helping, that is possible also, but first see if you are getting the speed from Sky, then figure out if your wireless devices all support N with WPA2/AES security, since that is required to have a wireless connection over a maximum of 54Mbps, recalling that you will never actually get the maximum.

Oako123

Honorable
May 5, 2012

Ah yeah, thank you very much. I'll try that when I get back from school. Cheers buddy.