A quick question about my overclocking i5 4670k.

Davycrocket

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
I have surfed these forums a decent amount and I am under the assumption that I may have gotten and less then good cpu.

My current stable overclock is 1.36v to achieve 4.4Ghz.

Now from my understanding this is bad? I see lots of people getting 4.4 with 1.2v?

The last question I have, I understand that increasing voltage reduces life span. Just how much life span am I losing here? Current OCCT stress tests don't get my chip above 79C on full load. When I'm playing wow it doesn't get passed 60. My cpu cooler is the 212 evo

Sorry if I seem like I don't know what I'm doing here. This is my first time overclocking and would like someone else's point of view who know more then I do about this.

imkvn

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
It just means that either your CPU, Mother board, PSU is of lesser quality to get to the desired clock you want. 1.36 is ok and most CPUs will handle up to 1.4 - 1.8, but most will recommend that your vcore should be lower. It's not really the voltage that will kill your cpu life span. It's the temperature that will ultimately deteriorate your CPU, cooling is essential to relieve the stress.

I would use intel burn in test to run stress test. Apparently it's similar code to what they actually use at intel. I would run prime, occt, and intel burn in test to give a good base line. People brag about being stable for week, days on synthetic tests, but it's not real accurate to what most people are doing. The only exception would be compiling huge amounts of data, but then your setup would be around 10k ECC mem, work station GFX, dual mb.

Honestly I think your good. Just watch for your temps and if it crashes from your games, or compiles from videos then tweak it down. It's not like your going to keep the same computer 10 years. Most CPU's will tolerate 80c normally, but the recommendation is 60c. Every CPU is different and the only problem running at 1.36 is more stress to the PSU and CPU. Even at 1.36 it's very marginal difference of like 15v

Most people upgrade cycles are 5 years or less don't really worry too much about longevity. Prices are always going to go down so you could go conservative for a year or two then clock aggressive and still get a good deal if your CPU fails. i5 4670k would not be my first choice an ivy or sandy would have given you more money for cooling.