Reputable
Nov 3, 2015
Hi guys , i currently have a
FM2-a55m-e33 motherboard
a6-5400k Trinity cpu
8gb Hyper X Fury x2 4gb/ea
PS11 Silverstone Cabinet
600watts Silverstone Strider PSU.

I'm planning on getting an asus strix 4gb GTX 960 on the upcoming months but i have been thinking if should i just keep the motherboard? will it be good enough for the 960?
I'm going to pair it up with the Athlon x4 760k and a Corsair h100i water cooling.

Or is it much better if i'll save up and get a i5-4460 and a decent MOBO for the i5-4460.
I'm thinking if the i5 will be overclockable/unlocked? since the Hyper X Fury is a PnP ram.

Thanks in advance mates.

Solution
GTX960 is entry level high end gaming this Nvidia generation. H100i is a big waste of money to throw at low/mid tier CPU. Better off saving for Intel.

Only Intel K class chips and the Pentium G3258 are overclockable, and only with a Z class motherboard. Some B and H class motherboards support overclocking of the Pentium. Memory has little relation to the CPU excepting that with Haswell chips the memory controller is in the CPU, and they don't make non PnP memory. Memory controller is also unganged from the rest of the CPUs frequencies, so they can be dealt with separately.

H97 + i5-4460 + GTX960 is going to be a decent medium/high settings build in most newer games.

You can go ahead and buy the GTX960 whenever, it will work in both...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
GTX960 is entry level high end gaming this Nvidia generation. H100i is a big waste of money to throw at low/mid tier CPU. Better off saving for Intel.

Only Intel K class chips and the Pentium G3258 are overclockable, and only with a Z class motherboard. Some B and H class motherboards support overclocking of the Pentium. Memory has little relation to the CPU excepting that with Haswell chips the memory controller is in the CPU, and they don't make non PnP memory. Memory controller is also unganged from the rest of the CPUs frequencies, so they can be dealt with separately.

H97 + i5-4460 + GTX960 is going to be a decent medium/high settings build in most newer games.

You can go ahead and buy the GTX960 whenever, it will work in both systems. A slight bottleneck with the dual core A6.

Solution

sCaDz

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015

Will my current Mobo + athlon x4 760k + gtx 960 be a good pair still? or should i get the h97 +i 5-4460 + gtx 960 combo?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would not spend any additional money on the FM2 board, dead socket, and the best chip you can get for it doesn't compete all that well with the low end chips from Intel. (also not seeing any 760k out there, only the newer 860k which may not work in your board) Price/performance isn't bad, but in the long run an Intel CPU will keep you gaming on that platform for longer.

If you can't afford to do it all at once you can buy the GTX960, this will let you turn off the iGPU on the APU and have more room for overclocking if you wanted to do that.

sCaDz

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015

hmm best option is to start saving for a h97 + i5 4460 combo, i gotta buy a new OS after the change of motherboard also lol. I want my pc to go in a long run and i don't wanna waste my money on the board if that's how it's gonna end up

TRENDING THREADS