A real thread about 90nm Athlon

El_Jefe_77

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004
I am annoyed at the other thread where everyone is whining about processor numbers. So, here's a new thread for those who want to learn about them.
So far as I can tell, I have gleaned the following:
They went up in price since release.
They run hotter but not as hot as prescotts at all.
SSE3 is not present on them, therefore, no big jump in speed.
They do run slightly faster than the a64 130 nm with same clock speed.
They suck at overclocking, in fact, its possible that this batch really cant be OC'd.
The 754 version has yet to be seen, but who wants to see it?
90% of threads on Google have the same retarded press release, only a few have tested them so far, and no one on this forum has done accurate thermal tests with them, including THG.

I hope someone can add more on this subject!

haha, journey-man to the rescue. I was just thinking the same thing.

...but what about the Sempron (sp?) 3100+ being slower that an AXP 2800+?! Crazy :lol:

I hope the o/c claimes proove to be false (links?) as I was hoping to ramp up the speed to 3100Mhz+ with water cooling.

El_Jefe_77

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004
Yeah, no idea, I forgot the links where i read them, was searching for a while. Two or three places mentioned it, i was gathering an overall idea for it, but eh, nothing definite.

trooper11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
well i dont know where oyu hear overclcoking was non existant. if oyu look at overclockers forums or the review over at amdzone, the overclcoking looks to be inline with 130nm chips, no better, no worse so far. we have to wait to see mroe extreme cooling used liek water or comrpessor to see what its relaly made of. but it doenst look bad so far, especially since the 90nm parts can run stable at stock speeds using 1.2v

the temp thing im nto sure about, some have said its the same, some say a bit more, so im waiting to see mroe tests about that.

all in all, i guess everyone will be wiaitng for the E revision next as the 'big' thing lol.

endyen

Splendid
Step one, they are shipping. Step two, they work OK. Now they can move to extra layers, and make them faster, and OCable.
Just a little more proof that it's not 90nano that makes scotty sweat, but rather a design flaw.

El_Jefe_77

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004
HM, ok, I will wait till someone out there mentions a definite plan for a new revision on the chips. So far, there hasnt been mention of one, we just assume/hope they will exist.
I am still probably going 754 mobo as well, I have a semi limited budget for my new rig.

wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
yup besides from the link to AMD I din't know either. I've read that some AMD mobiles are 'not very compatible' let alone overclockable on desktop mobos but 200€ or so for a mobile 3200+ is a lot more interresting than 360€ for a 3500+ if their both S939. Anyway more "low end S939 are coming up but im not forking up 360€ for a 3500+ that can do 2,4 or 2,6 ghz max if ur lucky if i can get a 3,2 ghz P IV that can reach 4ghz and beat the AMD system any day. Just my 2 cents. I'ù not exactly a fanboy but thats how i see it at the moment, the fact that im here is that im very seriously considering a s939.

SL6EF OC's GOOD