[SOLVED] A really big convoluted mess I need help with: 3080 performance worse than it was after unstable OC and graphical glitches

Aug 3, 2021
[Note: Moderator edit to break up one solid paragraph of text.]

Hi everyone,

As I was trying to milk every last bit of performance out of my graphics card a while back, I accidentally enabled a bad overclock.

I was unaware that I had done this as it appeared to be stable in both benchmarks and games, however, when I later went to turn my computer back on, it began to boot and then shut itself off. Prior to turning it on, however, I decided to install a gpu stand to counter sagging — which lead me to believe that it was perhaps the stand pushing the GPU into the wrong position.

Regardless, after I eventually got Windows to boot, I began to notice pixelation across solid textures on my screen, and issues with my Card’s anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, DSR, etc. Images became blurry, textures across games became “shimmery,” and I saw pixelation on any scene that involved rendering different shading.

Now evidently, at this point I believe myself to have fried my graphics card given the circumstances. I spoke to Nvidia support and after providing them data from GPU-Z, they said the card was working perfectly— I didn’t buy that exactly, since I also noticed that the card wasn’t maintaining its usual boost clock speed, and was dropping to speeds

I had never seen before (GPU usage was also high in relatively non-intensive scenes, such as loading screens and menus). I also noticed that without any overclock applied (which was how my card was now behaving as I took of that troublesome OC) GPU-Z was reporting an operation voltage limit — which had never happened before on stock settings.

At this point, I decided that I really needed to start eliminating variables though. So first, I tried different cables to my monitor, both HDMI and DP; I still saw the same graphical errors.

Next, I tried a different monitor (1080p instead of my 1440p one); same result as the last. I then LITERALLY reinstalled windows via as flash drive (wiped my C drive) just to perhaps eliminate any troublesome voltage delivery settings, or something like that; it still didn’t work — though I did notice that there was a partition on my hard drive I wasn’t allowed to clear.

And finally, I tried a different Graphics card figuring that IT HAS to be the card, and… my other card had the EXACT same graphical issues.

At this point I then realized that maybe, since the issues were exactly the same, it wasn’t the card. I then began to believe it was the PCIE slot considering both cards had had the same issue. From that realization, I then move my other graphics card to the bottom slot, only to encounter the exact same graphical issues. “So the board’s PCIE controller is shot (or something else hardware related),” I thought to myself. And from there I engage in the painstaking task of literally RMAing every single part in my PC aside from the PSU, the hard drives, and of course the graphics card.

A couple of days go by, I functionally rebuild my PC, and… the same issue. So, that’s where I’m at now; I feel like I’ve literally exhausted every possibility. I tried a little bit more tinkering with settings, such as of course tuning the Nvidia control panel settings, ensuring that no auto-oc tuners are running, and even looking into reflashing the vbios in case some voltage delivery value was changed.

But other than that, guys, I have absolutely no clue what to do. Nvidia support and Evga support haven’t really been any help, so I figured this is one of my only final options. If anyone has a sure fire solution or any suggestions, please, feel free to share them.

Thanks in advance (and also, thanks for sitting through all of that :LOL:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
PSU failure ? I'd get a spare PSU into the system to test.

I'd also try reducing the PCI-E slot speed down to Gen 1 or 2 just to test that it's not something in the motherboard that's giving up the ghost.
Aug 3, 2021
Cpu: Ryzen 9 5900X
Gpu: EVGA 3080 FTW3
Mobo: Asus Rog Strix b550-f
PSU: EVGA 850 Watt, 80 Gold Plus
RAM: 32 Gb dual Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz sticks

And fair enough, Dotas1 😂

Reactions: dotas1
Aug 3, 2021
Considering that’s about the only thing I haven’t changed, both of you are probably right. And now that I think about it, I believe that it’s actually a g-skill power supply. Looking now, it appears to be a G-skill MB850G 80 plus gold. I’ll try another PSU when I get the chance. If that doesn’t work, I think I’ll test the slot speeds as you were saying, Dorsai. Thanks again!

Aug 3, 2021
Alright, so I picked up another power supply that was rated highly on the tier list, and unfortunately the issue still persists. I’m not really quite sure what to do, as literally every part of my computer has been replaced at some point, but yet the issue is still present. Should I try flashing the vbios, perhaps, in case there’s some weird OC setting that got burned into the card? And also, if I go to do that, where can I get a stock bios for my card?

If the problem exists on more than one GPU that rules out the GPU so a VBIOS flash wont help. If changing the PSU didn't resolve the issue and you've re-installed Windows that really points at either the motherboard, ram, or CPU. Have you run Memtest ? Did you RMA the motherboard and CPU ?

Aug 3, 2021
Unfortunately, I've already tried replacing the CPU, motherboard, and RAM in my system. Frankly, I'm not quite sure what it can be at this point. I'm probably going to try Memtest when I get home, but I was also thinking of perhaps trying my GPU in a buddy's test bench -- at this point, it really doesn't hurt to try, I'm assuming. I'll get back to you guys after I've tried that but for the time being, I am still beyond confused (as the only original part left in my computer is my hard drive; everything has been replaced).