A receiver or sound card? For everything.

NoviceNob

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Hello everyone. First thank you for your comments and time. :)

Right now, I own nothing, no computer, no receiver, no headphones, no speakers, no TV... no nothin'.

My interests are with movies (a lot); Netflix. Games online; BF3 and MW3. Music; Pandora; rock, classic, blues.

But I am about to buy all of the above, computer - $2,000 on a home built, a receiver - $500 (Yamaha RX-V671?). Headphones - Senns PC 360 AND Senns HD650's. If I buy speakers, they will most likely be Energy Classic 5.1's. I will buy a 46 inch plasma TV, most likely Panasonic. About $4-$5,000 total. OH... I'm in my 50's, no kids, no ex's, no pets, no mortgage. So I can buy "very good" equipment, but not looking for the "best".

I live in a small studio and move about every year; to a smaller studio or just rent a room. :??:

SO, my questions for you folks are:

1. For great sound with movies, music and games with headphones, should I buy a very goodsound card ($250?) OR a receiver ($600?) for best sound (I understand the sound card will need its own amp).
2. If I put in the 5.1 speakers, sound card or receiver, or both?

Thank you again for your time, if you need more info, just let me know. :)

Solution

No problem.

A good sound card, like the ASUS Xonar Essence ST or the HT|OMEGA Claro Halo XT =or= a DAC (Cambridge Audio DacMagic) and an amp (Pro-Ject Head Box S). They can indeed be all in one devices (Asus Xonar Essence One or Practical Devices XM6). The sound cards will be cheaper, but they may or may not be as expandable and mix and match as a DAC and amp, plus the DAC and amp can be...

sk1939

Distinguished

Don't get a speaker and reciever since you move so often, it's only a matter of time before they get damaged. Additionally the sound from a $600 pair of headphones more than rivals a pair of $2000 speakers. A very good soundcard (Asus or HTOmega), or a DAC (Cambridge Audio DacMagic) with a headphone amp would be even better.

NoviceNob

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Thank you very much for a great an simple answer sk1939. :) I know about DAC's, I just don't know individual brands, and can spend a few hundred on one. Are you saying a good sound card OR a DAC AND an Amp (I know they can be one product... I think)? Or are both a good value for cost, increasing the quality of the sound. Thank you again. :)

sk1939

Distinguished

No problem.

A good sound card, like the ASUS Xonar Essence ST or the HT|OMEGA Claro Halo XT =or= a DAC (Cambridge Audio DacMagic) and an amp (Pro-Ject Head Box S). They can indeed be all in one devices (Asus Xonar Essence One or Practical Devices XM6). The sound cards will be cheaper, but they may or may not be as expandable and mix and match as a DAC and amp, plus the DAC and amp can be re-used with other devices.

Solution

NoviceNob

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Thank you sk1939, I think I will get these two headphones, Senn PC360 (gaming/$220) and the Senn HD650 (music/movies/$500). I would love to get the Senn HD700/HD800 but I just don't think the sound is worth triple the price. I was looking at the HD598s but I think I have upgraded to the HD650 instead.

The headphones keeps my footprint nice and small. I will check out those sound cards and Dac/amps you mentioned. Thank you again and have a great weekend. :)

sk1939

Distinguished

No problem, the HD650's are still very good headphones. If you have additional questions, feel free to ask.