a recent hardware or software has been change causing windows not to start

whiteknights

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013
hello.. my windows 7 64bit was working fine until yesterday.. but this morning when i powered up my pc there was a red line at the top of the screen while windows were starting, then PC restarted suddenly and there was a continues beeping sound every time windows try to start.

after several times it show me that "a recent hardware or software has been change" so i did a start up repair and seems that it has been fixed, now windows started normally.. and a message pops up to me "Windows has been recovered from an unexpected shutdown" - blue screen of death

i can't determine where exactly the problem is and I'm concerned that it might happen again.. i didn't made any changes to windows before this problem happened.

any thoughts would be appreciated..

Solution

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
The primary issue, the 'failed to start' means that your OS failed to start, this is due to a critical failure of your Boot Manager. It seems like when you did run Startup Repair it didn't fully repair the Boot Manager.

Only other option is to re-install the OS. Back up what you can/need before you do. After you boot back into Windows and the issue's cleared, you may want to run a disk imager (i.e. Macrium Reflect) or a snapshot tool (i.e. RollBack Rx)

whiteknights

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013

thanks for your respond.. why Startup Repair didn't Fully Repair the issue?, after i performed a Startup Repair, windows Started normally again.. i was hoping to try find any other option except Re-installing windows if the problem still there.

PS: before this problem occurred i changed my Virtual box network device settings to the host OS.. that might be the change in software that caused windows not to start normally?

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

Startup Repair is good, but it's not the kind of tool which will continuously work for you if you catch my drift. It will try to repair any damaged sectors but if it can't, it simply stops.

I'm guessing that while it completed there was probably small/minor sectors which were not repaired, trying to run Repair again would probably yield the same results. Aside from that, there's no other way to repair a Boot Manager, so that's why you'll have to re-install the OS which will replace the Boot Manager entirely.

You could always back up your current state and try to revert back, my only concern with that is even if you use Rollback for instance to back up your system, you're backing up that damaged Boot Manager and if you tried to re-image there's no telling what could happen. Comparatively to a clean state which you know 100% is safe to restore to. So it's possible to avoid the re-installation of Windows but I wouldn't advise it, just not enough certainty on the outcome of that.

As for what you mentioned, it's possible! Typically though if it's changes in the OS it shouldn't affect your Boot Manager.

Solution