Question A relay in my breaker box always trips when i switch on the psu on my computer.

POTTU98

Commendable
Mar 14, 2020
So i dont know a better way to describe this and i also dont know where to post this.
I was plugging in the VGA lead to the output on the gpu of my second computer (Core 2 Duo e8500, 4gb ddr2, GTX 460, 450w XFX TS PSU) when i accidentally ripped the power cord off.
When i tried to plug it back in, it immediatly tripped the "residual-current relay " and it did this every time if the PSU was switched on (not the computer but the PSU), but it stopped after i took out the gpu, but when i turned it on after i removed the gpu the fans just blew at full speed.
have i fried my computer?
also it trips the relay even if i put a lower powered gpu in it (a gt 430)

Erwin0265

Honorable
Feb 22, 2015
Have you thought of trying another power cord? BTW, you really shouldn't have the PSU plugged into power (even if the PSU is switched off) when doing anything inside you PC!

Have you thought of trying another power cord? BTW, you really shouldn't have the PSU plugged into power (even if the PSU is switched off) when doing anything inside you PC!
Disagree with that last statement. I always have the psu plugged in but switched off when working on the pc. This way ensures the whole pc is grounded and can dissipate any static.

POTTU98

Commendable
Mar 14, 2020
Disagree with that last statement. I always have the psu plugged in but switched off when working on the pc. This way ensures the whole pc is grounded and can dissipate any static.
Sorry for the late reply, but it was just my breaker box not liking to have too much going on in the same corner of the house, went to another plug socket at the opposite end of the room and it worked fine, i confirmed this when working on G5's that you can only have one computer on at a time. 1980's wiring gentlemen

kanewolf

Titan
Sorry for the late reply, but it was just my breaker box not liking to have too much going on in the same corner of the house, went to another plug socket at the opposite end of the room and it worked fine, i confirmed this when working on G5's that you can only have one computer on at a time. 1980's wiring gentlemen
You may still want to have that breaker replaced. If it is from the 1980s, it may trip to easily.
In the US wall plugs will typically be rated for 15A. A PC generally adds 2 - 4A.