A Repeating Error Amd, steam and chrome crash all at once. Dell technicians have no fix.

alexworrall95

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
On startup or at random times my laptop does something very odd; Amd Catalyst control centre host application crashes, Steam Bootstrapped client stops responding and google chrome doesn't load webpage although explorer works fine.
This has be a re-occurring problem for me, I have spoken with Dell technicians had my pc wiped had my motherboard replaced but still this issue ensues! I need your help. Thankyou

Solution
There are a few possible issues.
My first guess is AMD's display drivers.
They're notoriously poor for switchable graphics; I had (and still have on occasion) the same issue with my Intel/AMD laptop.

Assuming yours is an Intel/AMD laptop, you can try googling Leshcatlabs, which should provide some unofficial drivers that resolve most of the issues.

Whether you use those, or the official drivers from Dell/AMD, make sure you do a clean uninstall first (most than just uninstalling via program manager) and install the latest official releases--NOT the beta drivers.

Once you have everything running solid again, try it out for a day and let us know how it went.

(Also, on the off-chance it isn't these drivers, you can always check the...

aramisathei

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
There are a few possible issues.
My first guess is AMD's display drivers.
They're notoriously poor for switchable graphics; I had (and still have on occasion) the same issue with my Intel/AMD laptop.

Assuming yours is an Intel/AMD laptop, you can try googling Leshcatlabs, which should provide some unofficial drivers that resolve most of the issues.

Whether you use those, or the official drivers from Dell/AMD, make sure you do a clean uninstall first (most than just uninstalling via program manager) and install the latest official releases--NOT the beta drivers.

Once you have everything running solid again, try it out for a day and let us know how it went.

(Also, on the off-chance it isn't these drivers, you can always check the event viewer when these crashes occur to see what specifically is causing them)

Solution

alexworrall95

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
Thankyou for the help, I had my card replaced and have done as you said all is running smoothly and even though it's a tad risky the beta drivers are working very well with my system. This is after a week and there have been no crashes. I have found the issue which is the windows update for advanced micro-devices which amd drivers use aswell, this causes a clash in the drivers so i'm preventing the update from downloading and that seems to be the fix. Thanks you again! :)