[SOLVED] A replacement (new GPU) for $500.

dlf

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2012
  • Approximate Purchase Date:
    • 6+ months from now I imagine. Though it might also vary on what people suggest or post.
  • Budget
    • $500 or less
  • System Usage from Most to Least Important: (e.g.: Folding@Home, gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies)
    • Browsing the internet
    • Gaming
    • Watching movies. . .
    • Folding@home
  • Buying a monitor?
    • No (I have a 4K BenQ and a 1440p Asus)
  • Parts to Upgrade
    • GPU, Although I may need to just build a new one to not be bottlenecked)
  • OS
    • Linux (mint). No need to buy.
  • Preferred websites:
    • Amazon
    • Microcenter (I can also go to one since I live 15-25 minutes away from one)
  • Parts preferences
    • None, what so ever
  • Overclocking
    • No, I live in one of the hottest states (during the summers) in the US. I do not need the extra heat.
  • Dual GPU?
    • No
  • Monitor Resolutions
    • My main monitor is 4k, but I could drop the in-game resolution down if needed
  • Why am I replacing my GPU?
    • A few weeks ago I was just using the computer normally then it basically froze and locked up, Reboot to funky lines appearing (see View: https://imgur.com/a/E1AXU8D
      ). My father and I just today tried a different slot on the motherboard, the same result. I don't think it's the motherboard that needs to be replaced (though I am fine with being wrong).
  • Current specs:
    • CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor
    • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
    • Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (x4, 32 GB total)
    • Storage: SanDisk Extreme 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    • Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    • Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    • Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7970 3 GB Video Card {replacing this}
    • Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case
    • Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Solution
I'm using the integrated GPU on the CPU (3770k CPU). I was going to wait until the next consoles (ps5/xbox series X) came out to see how/what price/components got affected along with any parts coming this year did with parts already out. As for the budget, for a GPU alone several hundred dollars. For a completely new build probably a bit more.
What about something like the RX 570? It would be a improvement over your 7970 and can be found for like $120.

dlf

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2012
I'm using the integrated GPU on the CPU (3770k CPU). I was going to wait until the next consoles (ps5/xbox series X) came out to see how/what price/components got affected along with any parts coming this year did with parts already out. As for the budget, for a GPU alone several hundred dollars. For a completely new build probably a bit more.

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
If you're really not intending to buy for several months months, it's not worth planning the purchase yet. There's a fair chance new GPUs from both Nvidia and AMD will be out well before we see the new consoles. There's some expectation Nvidia may even announce their next gen in March.

Obviously there are always new releases on the horizon, but if you're not planning to buy yet, I'd save the effort planning for later :)

You presumably won't be doing much gaming without a graphics card, so how long do you really want to hold off on that + your other GPU-related uses?

WildCard999

Titan
What about something like the RX 570? It would be a improvement over your 7970 and can be found for like $120.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS