A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing.

IHazABone

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
I just built and entirely new, low budget rig for my grandparents. The error in the title has occurred on two separate optical drives. This is apparently a very common problem, but it seems that most people find it happens with downloaded versions. This out of the box physical Windows 7 Home Premium. Could it be a bad disc? Motherboard issue? I have no drivers for the motherboard.

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

What is the name and model number of the motherboard?

This problem might simply be down to a lack of correct Chipset drivers.

IHazABone

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013

It identifies as an Hp Angelica2. It was suggested to put the optical drive as the first thing in the boot order, but now we're just getting 6 long beeps (critical hardware failure).

It is possible that when we applied these settings, we set it to revert to default BIOS settings. This would mean the disabling of Legacy boot, and we do not have the original parts that were on the motherboard. Is a CMOS reset possible, and would that fix this?

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
Go to this site:

http://www.findlaptopdriver.com/12232011h650-motherboard_gigabyte_m3970am_hp_windows7_drivers/

And download all the drivers that pertain to your system, 32-bit or 64-bit.

Install them and that should sort most of your problems out.

Have a look in Device Manager, how many yellow triangles are there?

The six beeps usually indicate a failed graphics adapter. You should uninstall the graphics card from within your Installed Programs list and remove it, if it is in a PCI slot.

Otherwise you will have to reset CMOS.

And connect your monitor to the mother board.

Then install the drivers and do the restarts.

When your system is sorted, shut it down, put in your graphics card, restart the computer and go into BIOS.

Look for a setting where you can choose default VGA device and set it to PCI if you can, rather than 'on-board'.

Connect the monitor to the graphics card and restart.

Install the graphics card drivers and let us know how you get on.

Okay?:)

IHazABone

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013

We cannon even get into the BIOS, hence the beeps. So we can't download or install drivers in any away. We have reseated the GPU multiple times. There are no onboard graphics.

How might we perform a CMOS reset? Simply remove the battery and start up?

I believe we already accidentally reset the BIOS, and it could just be rejecting the new hardware because Legacy boot is by default off. Can we fix this at all without the original components? We CANNOT get into the BIOS or Windows setup, so that's out of the question. Are we totally screwed?

IHazABone

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013

No no no, you guys are clearly not listening. We can no longer even get into the BIOS, let alone Windows setup.

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

I apologise for your frustration sir but did you try to restart the machine with the graphics card removed?

Take the card out, restart the machine, let it error, shut it down again.

Re-insert card and restart.

Does BIOS behave any better now?

IHazABone

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013

Yes, we tried that, and no, of course that didn't fix anything.

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
How did you reset the BIOS?

The best, surest way is to remove the battery and connect a pair of jumpers to wipe CMOS. Some motherboards have a reset button built onto the board for easy access.

I can see no reason why the graphics card should not run as a basic VGA display adapter.

Can you try the graphics card in another rig to make sure that it hasn't failed?

Can you put a different card in the rig to see if that generates the same code?

Does the card need a power connector to run? Was it inadvertently unplugged?

IHazABone

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
It's a Radeon HD 7450. It works in my rig, on an MSI 970A-G43, and my Radeon HD7770 produces the same six long beeps. The original card on this motherboard in a generic build was a Radeon HD7570, which is long gone now. A pair of jumpers? Could you elaborate?

We *probably* reset the BIOS by hitting "Apply default settings and restart" instead of the current settings. The last time I got six long beeps was when I was putting a new GPU in it after I had bought it, and I didn't enable legacy boot. Had to put the old card back in, go into the BIOS, enable it, and start again. Seeing as every single part except the heatsink and case fan is different now, and I no longer have the old parts, I can't do this.

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
If you look at your motherboard, close to the battery is a little 'jumper' connected to two of the three pins.

Simply move the jumper so that it connects to the other pin. leave it there for a few seconds and then put it back.

Then try and restart again.

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

I hope so.

I wouldn't want you to be grumpy. ;)

You'll still have to download and install the drivers though.

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

Have you tried this:

Disconnect the power from the computer then hold the power button down for about twenty seconds.

Re-connect the power and restart. Still beeping.

You know the power connector that goes from your graphics card to your power supply? Is it connected securely at each end?

Can you borrow a similar connector to try in its place?

This has got to be it.

IHazABone

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
We actually figured it out. As I had suspected, we reset the BIOS and that disabled Legacy boot and enabled Secure boot. We managed to find the original GPU (I was almost certain we no longer had it) and it started working. Also, for some reason, the HDD was set to perform in RAID, so we changed that. That also seemed to fix the Windows install error, and it just got to the account setup. Thanks for your help:)

IHazABone

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
You mentioned yellow triangles in Device Manager - we're getting those on the Ethernet Controller. It's not PCI, it's a chip on the motherboard. It worked in the previous (factory) build. Where could I download drivers for something like that? They're nowhere to be found on the HP website.

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

Click on the link I posted earlier and choose the 'LAN' driver that matches your operating system.

Does that get rid of the triangle?

IHazABone

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
Ah, sorry, in my haste, I had forgotten that you posted that. It installed successfully. Restarting for the first time after the Windows install, so hopefully things go well. I'll try not to accidentally install Windows twice like I once did.

Alright, it's stopped that issue, but now it won't seem to use the wireless I know it has. It's not a problem, I can plug the ethernet cord in, but it's interesting that it has refused to work as it did before.

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

Is it on-board wireless?

Maybe it is disabled in BIOS?