Question A-RGB lighting wont work

Nov 19, 2020
Hi,

So I bought 2 Cooler Master MasterFan SF240R, which is 2 in 1 fans. One for the top as exhaust and one for the front.
My motherboard is an Asus Rog Strix B360-F Gaming if important.

The fans have 2 wires each. One 4 pin PWM fan wire, and one 3-pin RGB wire.
My motherboard only have 1 4-pin RGB header, so I intend to use the included controllers.

The PWM fan wires I have connected to the motherboard, M2_Fan and Cha_Fan2 headers.
The A-RGB wires from the fans is connected to each of their own controller, and the controllers is connected to a SATA power each.
There is a small white LED on the controllers which lights up, so there is power through the controllers, but neither of the fans light up at all.

What am I doing wrong here, an how do I get them to light up?

Nov 19, 2020
If you look on the side of the controller is has 2 pins it says reset, you can plug the reset button from your PC case connectors to their to change the LED's

Oh okay. I'll try that!

make sure the fans are connected properly to the controller, since everything else works and it's unlikely both sets are broken, you likely don't have them connected.

Yes, I agree. I think it is more likely that I'm doing something wrong. But i have checked, refitted and rechecked all the cables several times and they are all properly connected.
Could there be any problem with the SATA-power from the PSU? The cabel already runs power to 1 HDD and 2 small SSDs. Could it be an issue in terms of Power delivery?

I can add to the matter, that I also have an older Cooler Master CPU cooler where the Fan is RGB (4-pin).
It is connected in a smiliar way, with a PWM fan wire connected to a 4 pin on the motherboard, and the 4-pin RGB wire connected to the included controller.
The power to this one is connected to a 4-pin Molex power cable, and works just fine.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020
I tried to connect the case reset wire to one of the controllers. That did not do anything.
Apparently the wires are detachable on the fan itself. It seemed to be properly connected allready, but i disconnected it and reconnected for good measure.
Still no lighting.

I have also tried to connect the controllers to other SATA-connectors, but that did no difference neither...

Nov 19, 2020
Update:
Been in contact with Cooler Master directly. They cant find anything wrong with my installation of the fans and wires.
They are suspecting faulty controllers. I find it weird that both of the is defective, but who knows. Maybe a quality control issue in thatspecific production batch or something.
Cooler Master is now sending me a different type of controller with software support. Hopefully that will resolve the issue.