[SOLVED] A router that offers multiple guest ssids for QOS, bandwidth prioritizing and security?

Sep 21, 2020
I have 4 apartments adjacent to my house (200' LOS), and only 30mb/s internet to share. (I live in the boonies.) I want to keep any of my guests (each with multiple devices) from sucking up all the bandwidth, by limiting them when there is demand from other guests, or limiting all when I want data. I also want to separate the users from sharing data. Perhaps, the router might have 4 guest ssids and passwords? Is there a router that can handle this? I really don't want tobury 4 ethernet cables to 4 APs. Suggestions??

Solution
I would get a Ubiquity Edgerouter X which can handle traffic shaping very well and can do per person bandwidth. They call their QOS system SQM and use the advanced FQ_Codel algortithm for traffic management, it works better than most off he shelf routers. I think setting a per user rate limit of say 8mbps should be enough to watch HD netflix or youtube, and combined with FQ Codel should allow for a relatively smooth experience when everyone is using it, limiting each person down equally.

For 200ft LOS distance, you won't find any wifi device that can really handle that well with an omni directional antenna, that distance is a bit iffy for wifi. Are the apartments together? You can get a pre-paired wifi bridge and put a single...

kanewolf

Titan
I have 4 apartments adjacent to my house (200' LOS), and only 30mb/s internet to share. (I live in the boonies.) I want to keep any of my guests (each with multiple devices) from sucking up all the bandwidth, by limiting them when there is demand from other guests, or limiting all when I want data. I also want to separate the users from sharing data. Perhaps, the router might have 4 guest ssids and passwords? Is there a router that can handle this? I really don't want tobury 4 ethernet cables to 4 APs. Suggestions??
You need to bury 4 ethernet cables. It is a business expense. Then you need a router that can manage VLANs.

I would get a Ubiquity Edgerouter X which can handle traffic shaping very well and can do per person bandwidth. They call their QOS system SQM and use the advanced FQ_Codel algortithm for traffic management, it works better than most off he shelf routers. I think setting a per user rate limit of say 8mbps should be enough to watch HD netflix or youtube, and combined with FQ Codel should allow for a relatively smooth experience when everyone is using it, limiting each person down equally.

For 200ft LOS distance, you won't find any wifi device that can really handle that well with an omni directional antenna, that distance is a bit iffy for wifi. Are the apartments together? You can get a pre-paired wifi bridge and put a single access point in the apartment building instead of running ethernet. I would set apartment wifi as guest only with client isolation so people can't snoop in on your house or each other.

Solution