[SOLVED] A screw is sticking out on my DVI connector. What to do with it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 14, 2021
Hello. One time I needed to change my DVI place from the motherboard (I used iGpu back then) to the GPU slot to test something. When I unscrewed it, a screw was sticking out on one of the connectors. I simply screwed it out.

Question is, can I leave it like this or should I screw it back to where it came from? I don't know where it should be so right now it's out. I just started to use dGpu and therefore my DVI is connected to this place, and I'm worried that this missing screw may be important and may cause problems in the future somehow.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
Look at the DVI port at the back of your PC, you will probably see that there is a nut missing on one side of the port.
That missing nut is in the red circle in your image.

Remove that nut and screw it back where it belongs.
Dec 14, 2021
If you meant from the inside of the PC, I will have to remove my dGpu for that (which is not impossible, but I've been messing with it so much lately that I'm too lazy to deal with the removing-installing part again). Can I just leave it like this? Is it completely safe?

The nut belongs on the outside of the DVI port, not the inside. But you may need to access the inside to stop the screw turning while you replace the nut.
It's safe to leave it, but if you've got a connector attached to that DVI port with a one of the retention-nuts missing, the cable/connector won't be fully secured in place.

Just be aware of that, but as far as safety is concerned there's no problem.

Dec 14, 2021
I forgot to update, I found out that the screw was from the GPU itself (near one of the DVI ports). I just screwed it back in. So if anything like this happen to you make sure you check the GPU too.

You may close this thread, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.