News A Sealed Super Mario Game Sold for $660,000

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Congrats to the owner who kept it in such immaculate condition.
Earned themselves a small fortune.

I wonder what sort of items will be coming up in these auctions in another 35 years time..

A real NES plus this game/bunch of games can be had for $100-150 on ebay.
Which is a lot for an ancient console but very much manageable.

This is very much a push by wada to make comic book/baseball card collectors interested in vintage video games, it's a big auction house so it gives them credibility.

Mod Edit

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'm sure people would say the same about stuff you spent "more money than you should've" on.
I know, right? We're not on a forum where we're all entitled to our own opinions and such... resulting in some people taking offense to them and others forcing their own gospel on one another...
:unsure:

Like that person who sold a game cartridge for over half a mil? [IMO] Smart? Or just lucky on an opportunity that doesn't happen often? Either way, nice score.
Or the person who bought said cartridge? [IMO] That kind of money is just a drop in the bucket, huh? Like, "Wow, really?" Maybe 10 years down the line they sell it for 1mil.
The most expensive single purchase on a leisure luxury I ever made - besides necessities like travel, housing, etc - is a 1080Ti for ~710USD. I got nothing compared to that guy.

More money than sense is a thing, and could be categorized as a mental disorder; there are people out there with so much money that they are out of touch with their local economy/society.

I have my opinion on this piece, you have yours, which is clearly different from mine.
Let's just leave it at that, yeah?

More money than sense is a thing, and could be categorized as a mental disorder; there are people out there with so much money that they are out of touch with their local economy/society.
I mean, again, the same thing could said about any of us in a "developed country" when looking at a "undeveloped country."

I don't see spending a bunch of money a problem as long as :
  • It's not actively hurting someone else
  • They can actually afford it, as in, they're not going to be in dire straits as far as affording necessities are concerned
If someone is happy spending $600K on a game cartridge, let them be happy.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I don't see spending a bunch of money a problem as long as :
  • It's not actively hurting someone else
  • They can actually afford it, as in, they're not going to be in dire straits as far as affording necessities are concerned
The 2nd point I agree with you on, but the first one I'm at odds with.
If they're not hurting anyone, sure, but they CAN hurt themselves. Not everyone can manage that kind of cash. I shouldn't care at all, but I do.