[SOLVED] A second opinion (faulty PSU?)

yourshadow

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
My PC keeps getting a black screen crash and the only event viewer entry is Kernal power 41 (63) after spending a lot of time looking it up, it seems to be the PSU, but before i spend money on it, id like a second opinion.

tried fast boot disable, driver updates, ensuring every cable is connected properly.

Crashes happen randomly, when gaming or not, even whilst idle, sometimes instantly. recently upgraded most of my rig (apart from storage, psu and gpu), in old setup comp was fine. i also wiped my OS SSD when i set up my new rig so no leftover software etc from that is the issue.

Only other thing it might be is there isnt too much room in my case under the PSU shroud as the HDD bays are down there too, so perhaps it doesnt like being enclosed?

EDIT: Specs

I9-9900k
16GB DDr4 3.2mhz RAM
R9 390x 8GB GPU
4 storage devices (2HDD 2SSDs)
MSI z390 pro MoBo
Carbide Delta Case
corsair H80I cooler
Corsair RM750w modular PSU
my upgrade raised the CPU mainly from a quad core i7 (3770 i think) so it might be the increased draw?

Also crashed 4 times making this post

Last edited:
Solution
so far, no black screens. testing the GPU in another rig, it had no issues. all i can think of is that it is either a faulty slot on the new MoBo or perhaps the drivers dont like one of my hardware pieces. my only concern now is what type of cooler i should get for my CPU as my H80i wont be able to keep up i think.

EDIT: CPU is an i9 9900k (not overclocked) and the case is a Corsair SPEC-DELTA Carbide Series case (for an idea of the size)

Try this:
Download the latest driver from your GPU on Nvidia site.
Run your system on Windows Safe Mode and uninstall Nvidia drivers and GeForce Experience.

After those steps, install the driver that you've downloaded (still on Windows Safe Mode) and select the custom installation.
If there...
It may well be the PSU... though I'm not that sure because that's a great quality unit and I haven't come across many failing RM series PSUs. This might be one of them though.

Both memory and motherboard could also be the culprits. You should try to start your PC with the bare minimum installed... just one stick of RAM(try both modules individually)and only the boot drive.

yourshadow

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
with is happening constantly this past few hours (most its happened) i ordered a PSU (RM850x) on amazon (took 6 crashes before i could place the order properly, never crashed this much, the PSU knows its being replaced xD), ill attempt only the boot drive and 1 RAM stick, but as it is random in its crashing, its not a 100% ill find if its an issue or not (could just be a lucky run during tests for example. both the MoBo and RAM were put in like a week or so ago, but im most likely gonna wait for the new psu to arrive so it doesnt cause damage to the system anymore, as this cant be healthy, next day delivery dont fail me now!

EDIT ive had the PSU for years, and the computer is on 12+ hours a day. I use it so much as i cant do much else due to mobility issues

I really doubt that the psu is your problem.

9900K is a very hot processor.
Have you overclocked?
If so, you are probably too high.
Your H80 cooler is inadequate for a 9900k
Monitor your temperatures with hwmonitor.
If the max is ever neat 100c. you are likely throttling.
You have a very nice case for air cooling.
A noctua NH-D15s would fit and would be much better.
A 240 aio would be similar.
To do better than the D15s, you would need a 360 aio cooler.

Try taking the case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards.
If that helps, look to cooling solutions.

yourshadow

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
im not overclocking, and using corsair link, the highest the temp has ever gone was 72, and that was when i was intentionally pushing the rig to try and recreate the crash etc. highest it usually goes is low 60s for gaming

Run memtest86 to check out your ram.
You should be able to complete a full pass with NO errors.
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows, eliminating the os as a source of the problem.

You might also check for available bios updates for your motherboard.
Such updates often address stability issues.

yourshadow

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
BIOS is up to date, I'll have to borrow a USB of a friend as i cant find mine and my case doesnt have a disc drive so i cant burn it, probably wont be until tomorrow though. I;m going to head to bed for now, 20 hours is long enough to be awake, but ill try the memtest tomorrow

yourshadow

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
Run memtest86 to check out your ram.
You should be able to complete a full pass with NO errors.
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows, eliminating the os as a source of the problem.

You might also check for available bios updates for your motherboard.
Such updates often address stability issues.

Memtest found no errors after 8 runs/passes, so my RAM seems fine, any chance you know a similar program for GPUs? as if its not the PSU (which is arriving later today apparently) then all thats left is the GPU

yourshadow

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
I suspect a windows problem.
Did you download drivers directly from MSI and nvidia to install from there?
Driver update apps are suspicious.
New PSU is in, so maybe its fixed, as for drivers i used Driver Easy to see what drivers were out of date, then got the updated ones on the related websites (AMD/MSI ETC)

yourshadow

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
I keep blackscreen crashing, most of my parts are new, temp spikes are not the issues, tried 4 different fresh windows installs, tests on the RAM, storage etc. tried getting a new PSU, but the issues persist. its been like it since i got my new rig set up, at this point im just looking for ideas what it would be, it seems to be a faulty part. Ive tried everything i can think of, but still get the crashes and due to them being completely random (could be within a minute of boot, could be several hours) and leaving only a standard Kernal power 41 (63) error in the event viewer, i cant narrow it down further, please someone help.

Specs:
Case: Corsair SPEC-DELTA Carbide Series
PSU: Corsair RM850x (80PLUS Gold) the cables im using also came with this model - (previously was a RM750 before I replaced it, thinking it was the issue, it wasn’t)
GPU: Radeon R9 390x 8GB
MoBo: MSI Z390-A PRO Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K
RAM: Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB)
Heatsink: Corsair h80i liquid cooler

The GPU, heatsink and storage is all that remains from my old build, and it was all fine back then. Everything else was purchased brand new.

yourshadow

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
it was fine in the old rig, all i can think of (if it is the GPU) is a bad driver update (reinstalled the drivers a few times) i'll try looking into it some more, but if it isnt, i need some advice on what to check next

yourshadow

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
You should try running on the 9900k iGPU... that way you throw the R9 390X out of the equation completely.

The MoBo's onboard HDMI doesnt want to work, replacing the PSU didnt help. I have a replacement MoBo being sent to me, apparently itll be here tomorrow, so maybe it will be the issue. But the PSU, RAM, SSD/HDDs and tempreture of the rig is not the issue. GPU was fine in old rig. id made another post for it but it seemed to be deleted. the new post was due to it not being a PSU issue anymore so this thread is in the wrong section

The MoBo's onboard HDMI doesnt want to work, replacing the PSU didnt help. I have a replacement MoBo being sent to me, apparently itll be here tomorrow, so maybe it will be the issue. But the PSU, RAM, SSD/HDDs and tempreture of the rig is not the issue. GPU was fine in old rig. id made another post for it but it seemed to be deleted. the new post was due to it not being a PSU issue anymore so this thread is in the wrong section

Try removing your R9 390X from the PCIe slot... the iGPU usually gets automatically disabled when a dedicated GPU is detected.

DanielSC

Prominent
May 9, 2019
Gretings, @yourshadow !

Go to Events Log (Windows search) and tell us the details of Kernel-Power 41, such as BugcheckCode and PowerButtonTimestamp (if they are recorded as 0 for example).

I've been also facing this problem since I installed a new CPU Cooler (Cooler Master 212 Black Edition) in my PC.

yourshadow

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
-EventData

BugcheckCode0

BugcheckParameter10x0

BugcheckParameter20x0

BugcheckParameter30x0

BugcheckParameter40x0

SleepInProgress0

PowerButtonTimestamp0

BootAppStatus0

Checkpoint0

ConnectedStandbyInProgressfalse

SystemSleepTransitionsToOn0

CsEntryScenarioInstanceId0

BugcheckInfoFromEFIfalse

CheckpointStatus0

DanielSC

Prominent
May 9, 2019
-EventData

BugcheckCode0

BugcheckParameter10x0

BugcheckParameter20x0

BugcheckParameter30x0

BugcheckParameter40x0

SleepInProgress0

PowerButtonTimestamp0

BootAppStatus0

Checkpoint0

ConnectedStandbyInProgressfalse

SystemSleepTransitionsToOn0

CsEntryScenarioInstanceId0

BugcheckInfoFromEFIfalse

CheckpointStatus0
That is interesting, since you have replaced to a new PSU (and even a better one).
Check out this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/troubleshoot-event-id-41-restart

Your status is the same as mine, both BugcheckCode and PowerButtonTimestamp recorded 0.

yourshadow

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
read through the relevant parts of that, and tried everything it suggests already. currently running it via the MoBos VGA instead of using the GPU, so im stuck waiting for another crash before i can do anything. In the mean time im trying to find a good GPU in case i do need to replace it, but am having trouble finding a good method to replace it

DanielSC

Prominent
May 9, 2019
read through the relevant parts of that, and tried everything it suggests already. currently running it via the MoBos VGA instead of using the GPU, so im stuck waiting for another crash before i can do anything. In the mean time im trying to find a good GPU in case i do need to replace it, but am having trouble finding a good method to replace it

Keep in touch, please. Especially if it happens again.

yourshadow

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
Keep in touch, please. Especially if it happens again.
so far, no black screens. testing the GPU in another rig, it had no issues. all i can think of is that it is either a faulty slot on the new MoBo or perhaps the drivers dont like one of my hardware pieces. my only concern now is what type of cooler i should get for my CPU as my H80i wont be able to keep up i think.

EDIT: CPU is an i9 9900k (not overclocked) and the case is a Corsair SPEC-DELTA Carbide Series case (for an idea of the size)

DanielSC

Prominent
May 9, 2019

Try this:
Download the latest driver from your GPU on Nvidia site.
Run your system on Windows Safe Mode and uninstall Nvidia drivers and GeForce Experience.

After those steps, install the driver that you've downloaded (still on Windows Safe Mode) and select the custom installation.
If there is an option called "Clean installation", mark it. In addition to this, do not install Nvidia audio drivers.

Solution