A+ Security+ or Network+

boxerboy1168

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017
Hey all,

Looking for some direction here please.

I am currently taking classes for Network+ and Security+ but I am noticing a lot more companies looking for A+ and Net+ than Sec+.

My question is...

Should I get the A+ and Net+ or will the Net+ and Sec+ get me the job I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Go with the A+ and Net+ - since they are "in demand". Get the applicable job and then start working on Sec+.

Hiring someone is always opens up uncertainties and involves a variety of intangible factors.

For the most part, the hiring manager will have some flexibility with respect to the skill set he or she is willing to hire.

The key is demonstrating that you can do the job, be reliable, be honest, a team player, step up when needed, and not be too much of a hassle for your supervisor and co-workers. Show that you are responsible, respect the workplace, and the hierarchy.

Things other than the +'s matter.

Ralston18

Titan
Go with the A+ and Net+ - since they are "in demand". Get the applicable job and then start working on Sec+.

Hiring someone is always opens up uncertainties and involves a variety of intangible factors.

For the most part, the hiring manager will have some flexibility with respect to the skill set he or she is willing to hire.

The key is demonstrating that you can do the job, be reliable, be honest, a team player, step up when needed, and not be too much of a hassle for your supervisor and co-workers. Show that you are responsible, respect the workplace, and the hierarchy.

Things other than the +'s matter.

Solution

boxerboy1168

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017
Do you really think the A+ is a better way to go than Sec+?

I have A+ experience in the military and I've been fixing everyone in my families computers and networks since I was 13 and I have taken a few programming classes although unrelated. I also began scripting on MUD games when I was 13.

Ralston18

Titan
Well that is all the better....

An employer may well accept your military A+ experience as immediately acceptable. Maybe with a contingency that you test and actually earn the certification within some certain amount of time. Try some online practice exams - see how you do.

And military experience may give you some preferences over other job candidates: i.e., the "key" I mentioned in my first post. Perhaps via some automatic bonus points when scoring applicants.

That then leaves you free to more formally pursue the Sec+ and Net+. Again based on "demand" Net+ may be the most favorable (employable) choice.

Start applying and see what responses you receive. Look into Career Centers (some intended for prior military) and go to Job Fairs. The latter can sometimes result in immediate face-to-face interviews and quick feedback. Unforturnately many job fairs sometimes tend to degenerate into just a resume acceptence fest due to the large numbers of applicants that show up.

And always remember that you may get called back. A good impression stays and there may either be another opening. Or the first choice person did not accept the job or simply did not last.

Apr 11, 2018
I noticed that if want to get Network+ certification, it is recommended you have CompTIA A+ Certification and At least 9 to 12 months of networking experience.