Question A simple question...

jmacintosh

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
I have an older system I built back in 2014...the specs are below....

I have been on the fence about a complete rebuild, or to just freshen up what I have a bit given the price of video cards nowadays. If among my list of below you see anything that could be updated , please let me know.

My main question is relating to my video card. I have now acquired a twin to my Benq XL2730z monitor so I can go dual displays. I would like to extend the desktop across the two monitors. The video card I have (listed below) has two mini display ports, one hdmi, and the dvi ports. My monitors have HDMI ports. Currently I was running one hdmi cable from the card to the monitor. Now I have two mini display ports and two monitors. Should I be able to get two mini display port to hdmi cables, one in each port on the back of the card to each monitor and run a dual monitor setup?

Is there anything about mini display ports that create a bottleneck in performance? Thanks in advance for your help!

Jeff

* PCPartPicker may receive compensation for purchases made at participating retailers linked on this site. This compensation does not affect what products or prices are displayed, or the order of prices listed. Learn more here.

icy_fox

Reputable
Nov 15, 2017
I have an older system I built back in 2014...the specs are below....

I have been on the fence about a complete rebuild, or to just freshen up what I have a bit given the price of video cards nowadays. If among my list of below you see anything that could be updated , please let me know.

My main question is relating to my video card. I have now acquired a twin to my Benq XL2730z monitor so I can go dual displays. I would like to extend the desktop across the two monitors. The video card I have (listed below) has two mini display ports, one hdmi, and the dvi ports. My monitors have HDMI ports. Currently I was running one hdmi cable from the card to the monitor. Now I have two mini display ports and two monitors. Should I be able to get two mini display port to hdmi cables, one in each port on the back of the card to each monitor and run a dual monitor setup?

Is there anything about mini display ports that create a bottleneck in performance? Thanks in advance for your help!

Jeff

* PCPartPicker may receive compensation for purchases made at participating retailers linked on this site. This compensation does not affect what products or prices are displayed, or the order of prices listed. Learn more here.
It should work with a mini display port to hdmi cable, you can keep the current HDMI you have to one monitor. In terms of performance bottlenecking, there won't be a difference compared to HDMI as your card doesn't support FreeSync either way (which a converter like that would disable)

Source: ran a dual monitor setup with one HDMI cable and one miniDP to HDMI cable for a few years on the same card

Reactions: jmacintosh

jmacintosh

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
I would 100% go for a rebuild. Issue is, parts are expensive at the moment.

do you have an SSD?

Thanks for replying!

I do not, but I do understand having the OS and programs run off the SSD would result in a speed increase. Currently I am running two 7200 RPM standard drives. One for OS and programs, and the other for storage. Right now, video card prices are insane. Everything else seems to be within reach as long as I avoid the bleeding edge of tech.

I've been fortunate to still be able to run most programs and games with what i have now. But I like to put together a new build every so many years and have fun with an update.

jmacintosh

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
It should work with a mini display port to hdmi cable, you can keep the current HDMI you have to one monitor. In terms of performance bottlenecking, there won't be a difference compared to HDMI as your card doesn't support FreeSync either way (which a converter like that would disable)

Source: ran a dual monitor setup with one HDMI cable and one miniDP to HDMI cable for a few years on the same card

Thanks for the reply!

My OCD says to get a couple Mini port cables. But I am encouraged to know that I can easily run a dual monitor setup with this card for a while as I wait for video card prices to normalize before setting up a new rig.

jmacintosh

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
An update on my progress...

currently I am plugged in to both mini display ports on the card to the main HDMI (HDMI 2.0) ports on the monitors. So two cables... Mini DP > HDMI

Result: I cannot get the resolution past 1920 x 1080. Monitors are capable of 2560 x 1440

Running just off the one HDMI port on the video card to the HDMI port on one monitor will get me 2560 x 1440.

My monitors have full size display ports on them. could the problem be there is a roadblock in getting 2560 x 1440 using Mini DP > HDMI? Would going Mini DP > DP solve that problem?

EDIT: Used the more recent Radeon software and now I have not only 2560 x 1440, but now I also have Eyefinity across both monitors!

Last edited: