News A single modern AI GPU consumes up to 3.7 MWh of power per year — GPUs sold last year alone consumed more power than 1.3 million homes

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Hey, we don't need to be doing to my utility bills what has happened to my grocery bills. Stop!

On a more serious note: we need a breakthrough in power generation soon. There has to be a more efficient alternative to the turbine that so many current high capacity power solutions rely upon. Modifying laws to encourage the installation of solar and wind solutions onto as many buildings as possible is only a start. We need something more.

Reactions: PEnns

edzieba

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2016
Whether AI or FEA simulation or big-ol-databases, datacentres have always been limited by grid power availability, then cooling capacity, (closely related to power availability but with some extra constraints), then by rack volume, in that order. If your individual component elements consume more power each, that typically means your rack utilisation ends up less dense rather than your datacentre consuming more power, because new grid connections and new water supplies are very hard to install, typically because you already built out the largest of each that was practical when you built the datacentre under exactly that knowledge.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I imagine most datacenters use solar to offset cost of operation these days. But also consider that all those data centers have backup generators and battery backup. And I don't necessarily mean UPS in each rack, but whole building battery backups.

The datacenter I used to work at had a battery room with a few tons of lead acid batteries that acted as a buffer while the generator kicked on. Though it was undersized and obsolete even when I was there.

Based on some simple numbers. There is approximately 145 GW of available commercial rooftop space unused for solar panels in the US. That is roughly 10% of all power generated for the US. You could easily double that figure by considering similar sized commercial parking lots as well, just need to build out car shelters and put solar panels on those. (Plus side, weather covering for parking, and potential EV charging stations)

But then you look at untapped land, and despite the energy transportation losses, it could be done. There is also agrisolar where you plant shade friendly crops between rows of solar panels, which means doing it with farmland that is more local to where people live. Maybe toss in some nuclear to cover any deficiencies.

Findecanor

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2015
On a more serious note: we need a breakthrough in power generation soon.
Not only is that unrealistic.
We would need a breakthroughs in power distribution as well.

Just the legal and economic wrangling before actually starting to build a new stretch of a national power grid could take twenty years. (I once had a brief stint at a national power grid operator, that's how I know)

we need a breakthrough in power generation soon
we already have it.
nuclear energy.

its extremely reliable and only downside really is the rare event of type of accident Japan or Chernobyl. (these risks go up in war time as they become prime targets)

nations could easily build more over next few decade. bonus side effect is it would be able to replace fossil fuels (the ppl in that business will fight to the death to make nuclear seem bad as once its adopted they lose all business) which in turn also help planet & would be a step towards combating global warming.

theres around 440 currently running in just 30ish nations and they alone produce around 10% of total electricity produced by entire world. Now imagine if you scaled that we'd have more power than ever needed. (especially as w/ it you can also use solar, wind, & water along side em)

On other subject thoguh I do think those companies who use over a certain amount of a nations total power should have to help fund increasing the overall system as their greed in it effects everyone else sharing it.

Reactions: jalyst

USAFRet

Titan
Modifying laws to encourage the installation of solar and wind solutions onto as many buildings as possible is only a start.
Solar, yes.
Wind on buildings, maybe not so much.

The big spinning whatevers can create a big vibration resonance in the building structure. Not fun to live in.
This was seriously considered for apt buildings in NYC, until that vibration aspect came up.

Reactions: iLoveThe80s

Notton

Commendable
Dec 29, 2023
The technology already exists
Molten Salt Reactor
Thorium Breeding Reactor
Small Modular Reactor
Ocean wave energy
Seawater cooling
etc.

You also have plain old solar, wind, hydro, and nuclear fission that is good enough to keep up with demands.

The "breakthrough" needs to happen at a different area. The will aspect of those in charge.
And by that, I mean you will have to pitch the idea to the three corporations in a trenchcoat.

Latest posts