[SOLVED] a small black block melted in my mother board ''PS2_USB1''

Sep 29, 2020
Hello everyone,
yesterday i was sitting on my pc, playing a game that does not need much performance, suddenly my pc shuts off followed by a burning smell. i opened up my pc the smell was not coming from the PSU (corsair vx 550),neitheir of the cpu, it was coming from the top left area of the motherboard, when i zoomed in i spotted a melted/burned component its ''PS2_USB1'' i will leave some pictures.
now the thing is my pc is working fine, but i dont know if that can cause more problems in the future, i hope you guys can advice me should i change the motherboard or its fine to keep using this one.
my pc is :
i5 8400/z370 A-pro Motherboard/gtx 1050 ti/ corsair convengeance ddr4 24gb ram 2400 mhz/ corsair vs550 w psu.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img...imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/347/c0WXSN.jpg https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/6895/f09p8U.jpg https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/7760/FCGFup.jpg[/URL]

Solution
Either you PSU or your mobo left through a power spike to that component, probably both since both should have protections against something like that.
This could be a one time thing it could also be that the system has degraded to a point where this is going to start to happen with other things as well.
The safe option is obviously to change these components out but nobody can tell you if it's actually needed.
Either you PSU or your mobo left through a power spike to that component, probably both since both should have protections against something like that.
This could be a one time thing it could also be that the system has degraded to a point where this is going to start to happen with other things as well.
The safe option is obviously to change these components out but nobody can tell you if it's actually needed.

Reactions: doby7
Solution
Sep 29, 2020
I think that it's possible that issue could cause more issues in the future....but not real probable...and most likely not catastrophic.
So I'd say there is some risk....but not a whole lot. It's a judgement call. How lucky do you feel?
hi jay32267, thank you for your reply.
actually i dont know if im lucky or not ^^, I have never encountered this kind of problem and im no hardware guy, but i think i'am lucky that my pc still working.
i feel like i should go for a new motherboard but i dont really know if that will solve the problem...
what's your advice for me ?

Sep 29, 2020
Hi terryLaze, thank you for your reply :)
whats your advice for me ? do you think i should look for a new motherboard ?

hi jay32267, thank you for your reply.
actually i dont know if im lucky or not ^^, I have never encountered this kind of problem and im no hardware guy, but i think i'am lucky that my pc still working.
i feel like i should go for a new motherboard but i dont really know if that will solve the problem...
what's your advice for me ?
Well....I think there's two ways to look at this. The MB may have failed on its own or the PSU made it fail. I think it's more likely it failed on its own.

There is a check you can do to give you some confidence in the PSU. Download and run HWInfo. It will display the main PSU voltages if your MB supports that. It will also record the high and low voltages. So what I would do is run HWInfo and let run. Minimize it if you want. Then I would use the computer for a while....play a game.....whatever you normally do. Then I would check that the voltages in HWInfo never go beyond 5% of what they should be which is +5, +12 and + 3.3.
If they don't....I would have some confidence that the PSU is OK.

If they do I would replace the PSU.

....but as far as the MB...if it's running...it may run forever that way.