[SOLVED] A smorgasbord of crashes - help required please

Aug 3, 2020
Hi all!

Wondering if you'd be able to help me. I've been getting some weird crashes when playing games, browsing on chrome, and also an occasional random BSOD.
I've tried to include as much information below as possible, including what I've tried and what errors I'm getting (and when.) Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm starting to really worry!

What I've tried so far (but happy to test again if anybody thinks these are an issue):
  • Testing the RAM - no issues found
  • Stress testing (Furmark) - no issues found
  • Stress testing CPU (Cinebench R15) - no issues found
  • Monitoring temps in HWMonitor - all seems fine, never got above 70 under load
  • Uninstalling Corsair's iCue software as I suspected it was this - crashes still occurring, but definitely less
PC Specs:
  • Ryzen 5 2600
  • Gigabyte B450 DS3H
  • Corsair Vengence RAM (2x8gb, 3200Mhz)
  • MSI GTX 1660 Ti VENTUS XS 6G OC
  • WD Blue 500gb NVME M.2 SSD
  • Corsair 450W 80+ Bronze PSU
Running Windows 10, no overclock other than the factory overclock on the GPU.

CRASHES AND ERRORS LISTED BELOW

Chrome 'Aw Snap' Errors (occur randomly)
  • STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
  • STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH
  • STATUS_ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION
BSOD Errors
  • Page Fault In Nonpaged Area (Opening Origin)
Game Crashes
  • DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED (Halo MCC)
  • 0xC0000096 - The thread tried to execute an instruction whose operation is not allowed in the current machine mode (Football Manager 2020)
  • Crash to desktop with no error code (FIFA 20)
  • 0xC0000005 - The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access (Football Manager 2020 and FIFA 20)
If anybody could help me narrow this down I'd be so appreciative! Thanks!

Solution
You could do that yourself. Theres a handy tool for Dump-files. It should tell you what it suspects is the culprit https://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

Use 3rd party memory tests. This is what I use https://www.hcidesign.com/memtest/ Open up a couple instances testing 2000 megabytes of RAM per instance. Leave a couple Gigabytes free for Windows. 100%-400% Coverage.

Memtest86 is another option but requires sacrificing a USB-stick. Why bother when the above program works without any extra hassle.

If it's a driver issue, start removing drivers one at a time, least important first. Like Corsair iCue like you mentioned. Not strictly needed for PC to operate. If you have something like a Chinese mouse like my brother, that...

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
You could do that yourself. Theres a handy tool for Dump-files. It should tell you what it suspects is the culprit https://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

Use 3rd party memory tests. This is what I use https://www.hcidesign.com/memtest/ Open up a couple instances testing 2000 megabytes of RAM per instance. Leave a couple Gigabytes free for Windows. 100%-400% Coverage.

Memtest86 is another option but requires sacrificing a USB-stick. Why bother when the above program works without any extra hassle.

If it's a driver issue, start removing drivers one at a time, least important first. Like Corsair iCue like you mentioned. Not strictly needed for PC to operate. If you have something like a Chinese mouse like my brother, that is a prime suspect. Check if there is newer versions. Motherboard makers support page with drivers are usually lagging behind in terms of chipset drivers and GPU. Get those from AMD and Nvidia respectively.

Solution
Aug 3, 2020
Thanks very much for your reply. I actually did a bit of searching after looking at the dump files and everything seemed to point towards it being a memory issue.

I ran with memtest86 and got 17 errors on the first pass, so did a bit more digging and found that some memory struggled running at 3200Mhz on my motherboard - so I removed the XMP and it flew through with no errors!

I've altered the speed manually now to 3000Mhz and Memtest again gave no errors. I'll give the HCI Design one a go later on today and see if it reports any errors.

Thanks so much for the reply!