A Sneak Peek at the New Asus Rampage IV Extreme (X79)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Really, though, what enthusiast cares about this?

X79 is a lame duck platform:
-No chipset USB 3.0 support (there should be many more ports for 300)
-No Light Peak/Thunderbolt support (the reason they weren't adding USB 3.0 support to X79)
-No full SATA 6GB/s support (if AMD can obsolete SATA II so can Intel- especially for this pricetag)
-Only chips that enthusiasts would consider cost 500+ dollars
-Lowest-end chip gets beaten by i5-2500K when overclocked
-No native PCI-Express 3.0 (processor's fault)

So while it might look cool, the X79 is to the Z68 as AMD's Bulldozer is to the Phenom II. For their price they don't offer any improvements.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]wiinippongamer[/nom]Never get the point of expensive mobo's, it's not your system is going to perform better, and you may only be able to overclock 100-200mhz more than on any other decent mobo.[/citation]

features, thats generally why, usually the higher end mobos have more slots, less caps, and higher overclock headroom.

they also usually have more ports that people take for granted, like sata or pci express.

[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]Really, though, what enthusiast cares about this?X79 is a lame duck platform:-No chipset USB 3.0 support (there should be many more ports for 300)-No Light Peak/Thunderbolt support (the reason they weren't adding USB 3.0 support to X79)-No full SATA 6GB/s support (if AMD can obsolete SATA II so can Intel- especially for this pricetag)-Only chips that enthusiasts would consider cost 500+ dollars-Lowest-end chip gets beaten by i5-2500K when overclocked-No native PCI-Express 3.0 (processor's fault)So while it might look cool, the X79 is to the Z68 as AMD's Bulldozer is to the Phenom II. For their price they don't offer any improvements.[/citation]

The ROG series is and always has been geared towards extreme overclockers. And LGA2011s point is not to replace LGA155, but to replace LGA1366 and when you compare SB-E to Nehalem, it looks like a nice performance jump.

And as with nehalem, SB-E is geared towards entry level workstations/servers and not gaming per say. Quad Channel DDR3 is pointless for the majority of users, as is tri channel, but in workstation/server enviroments it helps in two ways: It gives more memory bandwidth and higher memory capacities.

This motherboard can support up to 128GB of RAM physically, it depends ond the mobo maker if they allow it.

Its also not the chipset causing the high price, its the name brand, ROG, more than anything. The Crosshair V Formula is about $230 and does not have PCIe 3.0 (according to this article this mobo supports 32 lanes of PCIe 3.0).

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]intel4eva[/nom]They also usually come with lots of extras that are really useful, like SATA cables with tags. A SATA cable will normally set you back at least 5 bucks.[/citation]

try closer to 20 if you dont have a pc part store near by and your only option is best buy, and you need the cable yesterday

biggest ripoff of my life, but worth every penny... yea i cant live without computers any more

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]intel4eva[/nom]They also usually come with lots of extras that are really useful, like SATA cables with tags. A SATA cable will normally set you back at least 5 bucks.[/citation]

try closer to 20 if you dont have a pc part store near by and your only option is best buy, and you need the cable yesterday

biggest ripoff of my life, but worth every penny... yea i cant live without computers any more

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Gimme "Black Edition" and I'm buying!!!!

Can't wait to see how this board will run with an overclocked 8C/16T SB-E in there and quad 600 cards from nVidia...

2012 will be a HUGE year for PC building, given all the new gear coming out very soon. SR-3 for the performance freaks!!!!

Filiprino

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
I don't understand why motherboards continue to be so expensive. All is getting integrated onto the CPU. Now there's no northbridge, it's in the CPU (memory controller, I/O buses, etc.). In no time the southbridge will also be integrated and motherboard manufacturers will still be charging the full price of motherboard with southbridge and northbridge.

dgingeri

Distinguished
It's a nice looking board, but it doesn't change the fact that the X79 is just a Z68 that works with Sandy Bridge-E. We've been cheated with this chipset. I'm sticking with my X58 setup until Intel (or AMD, if they have the balls) put out something worth spending money on.

Status
Not open for further replies.