A sociologist's take on Intel monopoly

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

In article <pan.2005.03.19.17.38.55.995703@att.bizzzz>,
keith <krw@att.bizzzz> writes:
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 17:09:45 -0500, dale wrote:
>
>> In article <pan.2005.03.18.03.07.58.182413@att.bizzzz>,
>> keith <krw@att.bizzzz> writes:

>>> It's also worth noting that Cyrix started out in the 8087 FP business, but
>>> no one cared about FP at the time.
>>>
>> And then Cyrix went on to make the M1, notoriously weak in the FP
>> department.
>
> E=Precisely because "no one" cared about x87 performance. ...(as you
> pointed out), until Quake.
>
>> (I still have an M1 running, though I've offloaded all
>> the work, and will pull the plug when I get a round tuit and decide
>> I don't mind if the 3.2G Deskstar gets a case of stiction.)
>
> I think I gave my last one away (though perhaps have an M2 somewhere). I
> should have kept it for the "archive". If I can find one laying around,
> perhaps I should put it in the 1590 I have sitting on the shelf. I think I
> have a couple of SP-97s laying around here somewhere too.

If I can find it, I've got a spare M1 laying around somewhere. What's
an SP-97?

Dale

keith

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 06:53:36 -0500, dale wrote:

> In article <pan.2005.03.19.17.38.55.995703@att.bizzzz>,
> keith <krw@att.bizzzz> writes:
>> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 17:09:45 -0500, dale wrote:
>
>> I think I gave my last one away (though perhaps have an M2 somewhere). I
>> should have kept it for the "archive". If I can find one laying around,
>> perhaps I should put it in the 1590 I have sitting on the shelf. I think I
>> have a couple of SP-97s laying around here somewhere too.
>>
> If I can find it, I've got a spare M1 laying around somewhere. What's
> an SP-97?

My fav M1/M2 board (Asus SP-97V). I don't *think* I thew it out, but it's
not up here in the new "computer room" (my son is gone ;-).

BTW, I picked up a new 160GB drive at Staples (So. BTV) today. $70, no
rebates. This one (and Linux) crashed over the weekend, so I gotta get it
all coppied off before it gets lost again. What a PITA.

--
Keith