A strange question regarding the disk defragmenter and an unknown drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi there,

This is going to sound strange, but is it possible to stop a drive from being listed by the disk defragmenter in Windows 7?

I only ask because my disk defragmenter lists an unlettered* 100mb system partition along with my C and D drives and I would like to hide this drive from the defragmenter.

* By 'unlettered' I mean it is listed as \\?\Volume{bd5e9434-5557... rather than having a drive letter.

PS: I haven't been able to get a definitive answer about what the \\?\Volume actually is. It is a 100mb NTFS active system partition, that much I know. However, some sources state that it is a boot drive, others state that it is a bitlocker partition and some even state that it could be a card reader or USB device.

As this place seems to be the most reliable and well informed place to get tech help on the web, I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts on my question and subsequent confusion regarding what the drive/volume actually is?

Thanks in advance,

Jack.

That 100MB partition contains the recovery console, and is used by BitLocker. Do not delete it or you will render your system unbootable. You can not remove it from the list in the defragger so just ignore it.

Michael Collins

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
None of these answers his question. I too would like to hide a couple of drives (as they are SSDs, and you shouldn't defragment them). None of the responses tells him if/how he can

Cannot be done. If you don't want the scheduled defrag to defrag a specific drive then either exclude it from the schedule or disable scheduled defrag. It's not rocket science.

As ex_bubblehead said, you can't "hide" the drive from disk defragmenter but you can remove a drive or drives from the schedule.
1) Click on Start
2) Click on Programs
3) Click on Accessories
4) Click on System Tools
5) Click on Disk Defragmenter
6) Click on Configure Schedule
7) Click on Select disks...
8) Remove the check beside the drive you don't wish to have defragged by clicking on the check to remove it.
To stop Disk Defragmenter from running on a schedule (Step 6) remove the check beside "Run on a schedule (recommended).

Status
Not open for further replies.