[SOLVED] A stupid question for intelligent people...

Mar 17, 2020
Howdy folks! I'm in the middle of a new PC build, and all of the major components are in and plugged into the PS.

Here's my question: My graphics card's fans, like all of ours, face downward. And yet, my power supply's exhaust faces upward. My card is as far away from the PSU as it can get. So my question is, is this ok, or is destruction in the air because these two devices are destructively BLOWING EACH OTHER???

- Thank you, I look forward to any correspondence...

- Fallen

Solution
they are both pulling air into themselves. so whichever has the strongest fan(s) will be "stealing" most of the cooler air from the other.

your PSU fan should always be facing down towards a bottom case vent so as to pull in it's own fresh cool air and then expel it out through it's own vented rear.
if your case doesn't have a bottom PSU vent then i would look for a better one.
they are both pulling air into themselves. so whichever has the strongest fan(s) will be "stealing" most of the cooler air from the other.

your PSU fan should always be facing down towards a bottom case vent so as to pull in it's own fresh cool air and then expel it out through it's own vented rear.
if your case doesn't have a bottom PSU vent then i would look for a better one.

Last edited:
Solution
Mar 17, 2020
Thank you all very much! That's great advice from a bunch of cool cats!

And for the record, I have a Corsair 760T case (which allows for a bottom-faced PSU), and my power supply is a Corsair RM850X. :D

Glad to be a part of this community. In a short while, I hope to contribute as well as ask questions. This will take place - roughly - in about 15 - 20 years.

- Fallen ;)

The fan on a psu draws in air and exhausts it out the back of the case.
The sole job of a psu fan is to cool the psu,
With a strong psu like yours, I expect the fan to hardly run, if it even does at all.
A psu runs equally well upside down drawing in cooling air from the bottom of the case which I think your case supports.

Your graphics card fan is directing cooling air towards the gpu parts.
It is up to your case cooling to get rid of the heat.
With two front intakes, cooling should not be a problem.

Mar 17, 2020
The fan on a psu draws in air and exhausts it out the back of the case.
The sole job of a psu fan is to cool the psu,
With a strong psu like yours, I expect the fan to hardly run, if it even does at all.
A psu runs equally well upside down drawing in cooling air from the bottom of the case which I think your case supports.

Your graphics card fan is directing cooling air towards the gpu parts.
It is up to your case cooling to get rid of the heat.
With two front intakes, cooling should not be a problem.
Thank you good sir!

Mar 17, 2020
It does appear that your case does have the necessary mount points for you to reverse the power supply installation so the fan draws cool air from the bottom of the case.

-Wolf sends
Yep, the case supports such functionality. I just flipped it and screwed it back in, now I have to hook up all of the PSU cables... FUN!!!

Thanks to all of you for your input and kindness. This thing should be done by tomorrow night. I'm assuming there's a thread in this joint that reads something like "Show off your PC!!!" Busy now, but when this puppy is sitting fat and happy I'll definitely upload some pics, and likely a video of it running (I have iCue fans along with the Corsair H100i, so this thing will be singing with colors and stable temps. Looking forward to exploiting all of it's capabilities...

Huzzah!!!