[SOLVED] A tale of three monitors

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I have two monitors, and a tv. Got questions.

Samsung S27E310. It's a 1080/60

Acer GF246. 1080/75

Samsung (TV) 7000 model IIRC, but it's 4K/60 or 1080/120.

All of them have low response and "fairly" low GTG times. I have owned the Samsung (monitor) for years and it's been great. I picked up the Acer from a friend NIB for $60 a month or so ago.
The Samsung monitor and TV both will utilize V sync. The Acer uses Free Sync, or you can limit frames, but V sync isn't an option.

The system I have works fine and is based in Ryzen 7 and a GTX1080. I have two systems nearly identical.

When using the Samsung monitor I can play any title I have on Ultra or better and stay locked at 60 frames. Very rarely have any dips or stutter in most titles.
When using the Samsung TV on the 1080/120 setting I can maintain Ultra or better on almost all titles and see average frames at 75 or better. Some minor tweaks to settings and I can have many of them lock on 120 frames with no issues, stutter, artifacts, etc.

So, enter the "new" Acer monitor.
Reading indicates that it's an entry level low priced "gaming" monitor with good response time. Nothing to write home about. It was SUPER cheap, and new in the box with the plastic sheet bits still on.
It works semi fine at 60 frames. It seemingly works fine if I attach it to an AMD graphics solution such that Free sync works.
When I connect only this monitor Windows recognizes it at 74.xx hz (75) and it looks and works great on the desktop. I cannot note any issues watching media or such other low resource activities.

On almost any game that I load using just this monitor it will default to 60hz in most cases. As above, V sync isn't an option. On most titles it will play "well enough" but notice a little stutter. If I change the settings to 75 frame max it increases stutter quite a bit and I get a lot of dropped/low frames. If I set the game to unlimited frame rate the stutter goes away but the screen start artifacting pretty badly.

I am not sure I can recall owning a monitor that didn't support V sync. Short of utilizing this with only AMD graphics, is there a way to have it respond more acceptably to being used with Nvidia?
If nothing else it is still a great buy for a static office monitor type use....