[SOLVED] A threaded hole of graphic cards’s heat sink is loose and cant hold the screw. What should I do.

Solution
Try one of the other screws in the hole. If it works ok then you know the thread in the hole is ok and the screw has a damaged thread, if the other screw doesn’t work then the thread in the hole is damaged. If the thread in the hole is ok you can try contact Ming the manufacturer and see if you can purchase a replacement set of screws.

If the thread in the hole is damaged I would try the cooler with just 3 screws but make sure you monitor gpu temperatures. There is a good chance you will have overheating problems with uneven pressure holding that part of the cooler in place. If you do have heating problems then you need to take it apart and see if you can replace the threaded part that is damaged. You might be able to buy the part from...
Try one of the other screws in the hole. If it works ok then you know the thread in the hole is ok and the screw has a damaged thread, if the other screw doesn’t work then the thread in the hole is damaged. If the thread in the hole is ok you can try contact Ming the manufacturer and see if you can purchase a replacement set of screws.

If the thread in the hole is damaged I would try the cooler with just 3 screws but make sure you monitor gpu temperatures. There is a good chance you will have overheating problems with uneven pressure holding that part of the cooler in place. If you do have heating problems then you need to take it apart and see if you can replace the threaded part that is damaged. You might be able to buy the part from the manufacturer, or fit another nut or buy a secondhand broken gpu for cheap and take the part from that.

Solution
May 16, 2021

If the thread in the hole is damaged I would try the cooler with just 3 screws but make sure you monitor gpu temperatures. There is a good chance you will have overheating problems with uneven pressure holding that part of the cooler in place. If you do have heating problems then you need to take it apart and see if you can replace the threaded part that is damaged. You might be able to buy the part from the manufacturer, or fit another nut or buy a secondhand broken gpu for cheap and take the part from that.
Yep, bad new is the threaded of the hole is damaged. I tried all 4 screws into that hole but they wont get in. I think I will go with 3 screw and monitor the heat of my graphic card.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Yeah, it should be alright.

Thinking about the screws like an “x” shape:

One lines of the “x” has two screws, one has one screw.

the line with two screws you should tighten normally

The remaining screw you should tighten loosely, just so it stops turning and no more.

Reactions: Kosinoyoh

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
It's probably fine, OP. Just double check load temps to make sure.

If you wanted to tackle it, try some of those teflon tapes for plumbing. I resorted to that tape when two threads on my GPU AIO rad were stripped. I imagine it's a pain in the butt since those spring screws are so tiny and short, though. Or locktite. That can work as well.