Discussion A tribute to multi-GPU consumer gaming pc setups: Were they ever worth it?

Mar 12, 2021
Double your PC’s performance! 100% more fps in games! Major games run much better! These are claims that both of the major players in the consumer graphics industry, NVIDIA and AMD, had made in the past. They were both at one time pushing the same technology for consumers. NVIDIA called it SLI, AMD called it crossfire, but they both meant the same thing. Running multiple graphics cards in a single system, for a theoretical doubling of performance compared to single graphics card. AMD has not made a crossfire-compatible graphics card since 2018, and haven’t pushed for game developers to support the technology since long before that. But NVIDIA’s latest and greatest flagship graphics card, the RTX 3090, does technically support SLI over a new interface called NVLink. Seventeen days after the announcement of this graphics card however, NVIDIA announced that they would no longer be developing SLI profiles through drivers in order to “focus efforts on supporting developers to implement SLI natively inside the games.” Has NVIDIA kept their promise? What was so great about multi-gpus in the first place? How did it work? Why did it die? I intend to answer all of these questions in a tribute to one of the most impressive technologies of the mid 2010s.

Ever since its creation, multi GPU technology has relied on one of two different methods to split the work between the two graphics cards in the system. Split frame rendering, (SFR,) divides your screen into two pieces horizontally, so that one graphics card renders the top of the screen, and the other renders the bottom. Later, technology was introduced primarily by NVIDIA to alter where the screen is split to better even the load between the GPUs. For example, if a GPU-intensive rendering item, like foliage, was at the top of the screen, the line would be drawn closer to the top of the screen to give the GPU rendering the foliage an easier time. Oftentimes, this would result in screen-tearing, as it was challenging to sync the progress of the two graphics cards, sometimes creating a horizontal tear line in the center of the screen between frames. Alternate frame rendering, (AFR,) lets one graphics card render an entire frame, then the other graphics card renders the next frame in an alternating pattern. The primary issue with this technology is that it requires extensive driver tuning to make sure that the frames are rendered with the same time intervals in between, because if the frame times are even slightly off, stutter is perceived by the player. As has been well documented by now, both of these methods for multi-gpu rendering required an extensive amount of work either from NVIDIA, or from game manufacturers to work properly.

While AMD and NVIDIA both began by requiring both of the graphics cards to be connected by a custom “bridge” interface to allow the cards to work properly together, AMD made their claim to fame later in the multi-gpu saga by ditching the need for a bridge altogether, only requiring that the cards that are intended to be crossfire be of the same generation and product SKU. Unfortunately, this only seemed to swiften the fall of crossfire, as having many different vendors with all different kinds of motherboards integrate the support for multiple of any number of GPUs quickly became a compatibility and stability nightmare. Eventually, AMD gave up trying to tame the storm, and quietly stopped officially supporting crossfire in 2018, but the writing was on the wall long before that. Nvidia however, never one to stray away from making things more confusing for customers, produced several different “SLI Bridges” throughout the lifespan of the technology, all being nearly identical, and the compatibility of each being terribly difficult to find. The primary things to know about these bridges was that the main improvement being made each time was bandwidth. More importantly, as the bridges gained bandwidth, NVIDIA dropped SLI support for another tier of graphics cards with every generation. For example, the GTX 960 supported SLI, but the follow up, the 1060, did not. Similarly, the GTX 1070 supported SLI, while the standard next-generation RTX 2070, did not. This behavior was consistent all the way up to today, where the only SLI-supported graphics card we have is the RTX 3090. Immediately following the announcement of this card, NVIDIA made the big reveal that they would not be creating SLI driver profiles for any of their current or existing graphics cards, instead, they claimed that game developers would ‘carry on the torch’ of SLI support, and that they would focus on supporting those developers. Since this announcement, exactly zero games have been added to the list of SLI-compatible games on NVIDIA’s website, and game developers seem to have absolutely no interest in creating driver profiles for multiple GPUs in their games. But where does that leave the legacy of this tech?

Due to the continued lack of support and negative media attention, many gamers would consider the legacy of multiple graphics cards to be negative. In practice, I overall agree. Neither NVIDIA or AMD were ever able to get the technology in a state where consumers actually wanted to buy it. Even when the numbers reached a point where they might be considered “worth the extra money,” the limitations of the technology showed. Linus Tech Tips made a video in 2014 titled “SLI Performance Scaling - Gaming at 4K Resolution” that urged viewers to ignore the raw numbers when it game to SLI performance scaling, as there were other factors, such as stuttering and screen tearing, that made many of the games that performed well on paper unpleasant to play. As contrived as it may sound, the reason that I still look back on multi-gpu setups with a positive attitude is the concept and promises that were made. The idea of connecting two graphics cards together and using them to double the performance of your computer will never not inspire awe in me. And while the past ten years have shown us that our technology isn’t ready for this concept yet, I urge the community to remain open to the possibility of this technology returning in the future.

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear your thoughts and/or feedback in the replies

Reactions: helper800

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
SLI was never popular, at no point was it a high seller and was always limited to a small niche of gamers. Driver support was always a mess, it was prone to breaking with windows updates as well as game updates. I don't recall ever seeing a game launch with solid SLI support, it typically took 3-6 months for NVIDIA and the developers to get things to a stable point and up to a year to make it where you were getting the full benefit of the limited connection SLI had to offer. 🤷‍♂️ A RTX 3090 uses an NVLINK bridge, not an SLI, these work entirely differently and the NVLINK is far superior in every way. I would expect NVLINK to only be supported in the higher-end cards since historically that is where the majority of multi GPU use has always been.

SLI was never popular, at no point was it a high seller and was always limited to a small niche of gamers. Driver support was always a mess, it was prone to breaking with windows updates as well as game updates. I don't recall ever seeing a game launch with solid SLI support, it typically took 3-6 months for NVIDIA and the developers to get things to a stable point and up to a year to make it where you were getting the full benefit of the limited connection SLI had to offer. 🤷‍♂️ A RTX 3090 uses an NVLINK bridge, not an SLI, these work entirely differently and the NVLINK is far superior in every way. I would expect NVLINK to only be supported in the higher-end cards since historically that is where the majority of multi GPU use has always been.

former SLI user here. yes they were issue but for the most part majority games (that support SLI) work as intended. TBH back then i just go with SLI to see and play around with such system. even expect trouble in many games but i was very surprise to see how well it works in many games that i played. and for some triple A games SLI profile are ready and start being roll out months ahead of games release. seeing SLI support and working as intended on day one was normal thing to see. major issue only start arise when games start being develop exclusively for 8th gen console.

The problem I always had with multi-GPU setups was they weren't really worth it unless you went for the high/top end configuration. If you were trying to combine two lower end cards to make a higher end setup:
  • If you were just starting out, you probably had to get a slightly beefier power supply to account for the two cards. So whatever savings you might've gotten (if there were any savings) were basically eaten up there.
  • It required a higher-end motherboard anyway, so that kind of dashed the hopes of anyone wanting to get something on a budget and add in a video card later to increase performance.
  • Since multi-GPU setups don't combine VRAM, it doesn't really make sense to do this with lower end video cards. Imagine for example, combining two GTX 1060 3GB cards. You might get the performance of a 1070 or 1080, but you have less than half the VRAM to work with. It might be good for e-sports setups were frame rate is god and image quality settings are lowered, but it won't be good for someone who wanted to use the extra horsepower to handle higher image quality.
  • If you wanted to add another card later, it would only make sense to do it sooner than later. If you waited say 2-3 years, you may as well just get a now-current-gen card in the same price range as the original one because it would have better specs overall and would support all of the new features that came out over the years.
As a saying I read somewhere goes: you can get next gen performance with current gen features.

And if anything, there's the bane of supporting anything in a computer system: it's optional. Unless it's something the company really wants to promote and actively dumps money into it, an optional feature generally doesn't get widespread support.

multi GPU does not worth in on the low end but on the mid range it can still offer powerful solution. at least this was the case 8 to 10 years ago. because back then the mid range performance are very close to high end performance for significantly less money. GTX460 in SLI on average is 20% faster than GTX480 while cost less ($440 vs $500). it is not perfect solution but with fermi nvidia start to implement hardware base frame pacing which help the smoothness (frame time) issue which is common on multi GPU setup. but going forward nvidia keep doing adjustment to their line up and eventually the x60 part more or less end up being similar to low end card where going multi GPU no longer make sense. GTX960 suffer this exact issue. hence starting with 10 series nvidia ditch SLI from their x60 tier since GTX960 in SLI are not that popular. many reviewer also advice people to avoid SLIing 960. but things with multi GPU really get worse once game being develop with 8th gen console in mind.

and speaking of the x60 card from nvidia the most recent 3060 is one of the worst x60 nvidia ever release in a decade.