ninabeheim

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
After comparing the Mac to PC, I cannot justify spending the more than 2x the dollars to purchase the much esteemed macbook pro. I've borrowed the last generation (dual core) M-Book Pro, and was less than impressed. I could not find anything "white paper-ish" to justify the Mac's "superiority" for graphics processing (aside from being a UNIX based OS and better I/O handling). Still, I believe a PC can outperform, at least, with my budget constraints.

I *think* (and I use that term loosely) I have assembled the appropriate parts to build an amazing processing machine, based on the posts here, and photoshop forums. I would appreciate any/all comments/suggestions, and even opinions. :kaola:

I am a professional photographer, and the cameras I use are are >21 megapixels, which yield some beefy RAW files. Additionally, i build some pretty massive digital art composites whose file sizes often exceed 4-6gb. For weddings, I have begun shooting digital to create fusion slideshows, so I definitely see some video editing in my future. At this time, I can't say how much video production I will use, but right now, it's very small.

My current system has a raid 5 array, the memory slots for RAM are hosed ('swhat I get for buying a costco gaming machine), and daily, the boot up time is getting slower and slower... There's no mal or spyware, this puppy is LOCKED DOWN, my start up isn't full of useless crap, and I've turned off EVERYTHING that is not necessary. My workflow time has tripled in the last six months, and I can't afford that.

Here's what I think will work best in my new build, but I do h ave questions about the mobo, I'm not a guru about PC building, and I could definitely use some thoughts about the choices... I have yet to order, probably will in the next week to 10 days.

BTW - The extent of my gaming is on an ipad, or playing command & conquer on my PC. I'm not a gamer, I'm just married to one.

Software I run regularly:
PS CS 5
COREL PAINTER XII
Lightroom 3
Adobe Elements Premier (movies)
Photodex Proshow Producer (slide/vid mix shows)
MS OFFICE 2010
POS WINDOWS LIVE EMAIL
FIREFOX

- Windows 7 64bit
- Intel i7-2600 or 2600k LGA 1155 processor (not sure why/if I should go for the 2600k)
- ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
- Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-900 900W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply (Model:HCG-900)

- HIS IceQ X Turbo Radeon HD 6950 H695QNT2G2M Video Card with Eyefinity

Corsair 16gb (4x4gb) DDR3 RAM
1 - 2tb HD (PS CS 5 Swap file) (already have)
1 - 2tb HD (Boot) (already have)
1 - 600gb Velociraptor 10000RPM (working disk for file processing)
1 - 600gb Velociraptor 10000RPM (Working disk)
1 - BlueRay/DVD/CD blah blah blah

Antec Lanboy air Red Black / Red ATX Mid Tower Computer Modular Case

Thanks, I believe I've entered all the required criteria for feedback...

Cheers!

a few suggestions: Adobe tends to like NVidia, so get a GTX 570 for its CUDA Cores

rather than the pair of 600 GB Velociraptors, consider a 120 or 240 GB SSD. SSDs are much, much faster and can let you do manipulation of dozens of photoshop layers in real time if you have it as the photoshop swap file.

a single 570 or 6950, either one, will get by fine with a HCG 620W PSU

stick with the 2600 if you don't plan to overclock the CPU -- the ability to overclock is the only difference between 2600 and 2600K

ninabeheim

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Mucho thanks. Thank you! Now I'm off to read up on whether or not overclocking will benefit me w/Photoshop. :O) I really don't want to do anything to the machine that won't specifically enhance PS CS's usage.

Can't wait to build this puppy! <Grin>