A&V266-E & AMD Athlon XP 2600+

jmac

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002

OK, bear with me, I only do this kind of thing on rare occasions.

I'm thinking of upgrading my A&V266-e with a new CPU. If I got it figured
out I can put an Athlon XP 2600+ fsb 266, in this board. I'd need to change
the Duron/Palomino jumper and upgrade BIOS to 1011.

When looking for a CPU to purchase I see 2 types a mobile version, Athlon
XP-M 2600+ 2.0GHz Barton and Athlon XP 2600+ 2.133GHz 266FSB.

I'm thinking I don't want the mobile CPU?

Any thoughts the group may have I'd love to hear. Anything else I need to be
aware of before doing this?

Thanks!

JMac wrote:
> OK, bear with me, I only do this kind of thing on rare occasions.
>
> I'm thinking of upgrading my A&V266-e with a new CPU. If I got it figured
> out I can put an Athlon XP 2600+ fsb 266, in this board. I'd need to change
> the Duron/Palomino jumper and upgrade BIOS to 1011.
>
> When looking for a CPU to purchase I see 2 types a mobile version, Athlon
> XP-M 2600+ 2.0GHz Barton and Athlon XP 2600+ 2.133GHz 266FSB.
>
> I'm thinking I don't want the mobile CPU?
>
> Any thoughts the group may have I'd love to hear. Anything else I need to be
> aware of before doing this?
>
> Thanks!

I thought this motherboard could only go up to xp2400

Paul

Splendid

In article <H7OdneRKlrhUJorfRVn-oQ@comcast.com>, "JMac"
<frostydogNo@SPAMgmail.com> wrote:

> OK, bear with me, I only do this kind of thing on rare occasions.
>
> I'm thinking of upgrading my A&V266-e with a new CPU. If I got it figured
> out I can put an Athlon XP 2600+ fsb 266, in this board. I'd need to change
> the Duron/Palomino jumper and upgrade BIOS to 1011.
>
> When looking for a CPU to purchase I see 2 types a mobile version, Athlon
> XP-M 2600+ 2.0GHz Barton and Athlon XP 2600+ 2.133GHz 266FSB.
>
> I'm thinking I don't want the mobile CPU?
>
> Any thoughts the group may have I'd love to hear. Anything else I need to be
> aware of before doing this?
>
> Thanks!

It was pretty hard to find details for this one. Fortunately
A7Vtroubleshooting had an answer.

I thought the 2600+ XP FSB266 was relatively hard to find. So,
your first problem for that one, could be locating a source for
one.

In terms of general performance characteristics (and this is true
of any processor), processors are starved for memory bandwidth.
This gets worse, the higher the multiplier that is used.

The A7V266-E is a FSB266 board, so the ratio between the core
and the FSB is worse than it would be with a board that
supports FSB400. What this means is, if you upgrade to the
fastest officially supported configuration, much of the
core speed of 2GHz+ is wasted, as the processor is waiting
for memory a lot of the time. While computations which are CPU
bound still benefit, as soon as there is even a tiny dependency
on external memory, performance drops.

The upgrade path you take, really depends on how much money you
have to spend, and the practical matter of how much life there
is left in the AthlonXP family versus Athlon64. Certainly, if
you stick with your current motherboard, you'll get a little
boost from a processor upgrade. If you go for a motherboard that
support FSB400/DDR400 plus a new processor, that will be better
than using the A7V266-E. A step above that, is to go with
Athlon64 and the possibility of the low latency processor memory
controller (and dual channel, if using S939). But, the upgrade
price of Athlon64 is a stretch past the other two options.

Now, in terms of the processor upgrade, I much prefer the
flexibility that comes with the mobile 2600 XP-M. Since
it is unlocked, you can dial up settings suitable for a
clock of 133MHz or a clock of 200MHz. That means the processor
could be happy in the A7V266-E now, and could be put in a
FSB400 motherboard later.

This posting has some info on what works or doesn't work on the
A7V266-E with respect to a Mobile processor.

http://www.a7vtroubleshooting.com/forum/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=a7v;action=display;num=1099432970;start=

So, the five position multiplier DSW, doesn't drive the most
significant bit of the multiplier setting. And, that is why
you may find that only the "low" multipliers are available.

There is a "wire trick", to select the "high" multipliers. The
high multipliers are needed on a FSB266 board, as to get 2GHz
rates, you need something like 133x15. Since 15 is in the high
multiplier set, you might need the wire trick to enable the
multipliers.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=279392
(I like this picture as it shows the real mccoy.)
http://img49.exs.cx/img49/8428/13multi2.jpg (wire trick 13x+ multis)

I believe this adapter does much the same thing, only it
has switches on it.

http://www.upgradeware.com/english/product/xptmc/xptmc.htm

(Multiplier table)
http://www.upgradeware.com/english/product/xptmc/setup.htm
(Compatible motherboards)
http://www.upgradeware.com/english/product/xptmc/compatibility.htm

This site shows the various socket mods.
http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html

L3 Sysclk FID4 is mentioned here. The pin used for the wire trick.
http://fab51.com/cpu/barton/athlon-e23.html

The multiplier pins are actually marked as NC for "No Connection"
in the AMD datasheet for a Barton. If you use the ocinside web site,
and select various voltages, you can see pins J7, L7, L5, L3, L1
(which are VID[4] through VID[0]), change strapping values. You can
align that info to the pinout on PDF page 66. Page 66 is a top
view, which is the same as looking into the socket.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/26237.PDF

In that datasheet, the multiplier pins are marked "NC" (no connect)
in the top view. Socket hole AJ27 is the FID4 multiplier pin.
AH28 = VSS = logic 0 pin. AH26 = VCC = logic 1 pin. You can see
the pivot from one position to another on the ocinside socket
view, using multiplier 12.5 and 13. For multipliers >=13,
connect AJ27 to AH26 (logic 1).

Software tools like CPUMSR can also be used to change the multiplier
when booted into Windows. Presumably, what would happen, is the
computer would boot at 600 or 800MHz or so, then you would
use this program to set the multiplier register inside the
Mobile processor.

http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/AXP_multiplier_FAQ/AXP_Multiplier_FAQ.htm
http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/main.htm (CPUMSR download)

There are a number of boards that support socket 462 and
FSB400/DDR400. With those, you could do 200x12.5 = 2500MHz,
so low multipliers would be all you would need. You might
need a RAM upgrade, if the board requires DDR333 or DDR400
memory when running at FSB400. Some motherboard manuals
have a table of what combinations of RAM speed and FSB
are possible.

HTH,
Paul

Thus spake JMac:
>> I thought this motherboard could only go up to xp2400
>
> If I'm reading the Asus web site correctly it will support Athlon XP
> 2600+(266FSB)(Model 8)(Thoroughbred)
>
> http://www.asus.com/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

My previous m/b was this model so I had more than a passing interest in
exactly what the highest performing CPU it would take. The last h/w revision
released for this board allowed the XP2600+ 266FSB version to be used. This
part has not been available certainly in the UK at all for well over a year
& was always very difficult to find or very expensive. Its availability
elsewhere seems to be no better, so the 2400+ *is* effectively the best
"new" CPU this board will take.

As a slightly earlier thread below this one shows, the only reason now to
buy 32bit Athlon is to upgrade an existing system. These processors are
disappearing fast from the supply chain. I suggest anyone who's been putting
off upgrading acts now! For the boards that can take the mobile version,
they are much cheaper than an XP3200+, are unlocked, run cooler but are
getting increasingly difficult to source, eg here in the UK, CPUCity is one
of the few remaining suppliers though eBay is another route. Just how long
the 32bit Simperons will be available for remains to be seen.

As a general comment, IMO motherboards don't really have as much future
proofing as some make out - updating the Bios is hardly rocket science but
boards do go through h/w revisions as well which often precludes the earlier
versions from having much of a life span.

I did get away with fitting a PIII550 to an original QDI B1 BX m/b that
didn't officially support more than the Pentium PII. YMMV.

--
Thank people in advance? Thanking or cursing them afterwards at least
gives some feedback!

jmac

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002

> [...]
> view, using multiplier 12.5 and 13. For multipliers >=13,
> connect AJ27 to AH26 (logic 1).
>
> Software tools like CPUMSR can also be used to change the multiplier
> when booted into Windows. Presumably, what would happen, is the
> computer would boot at 600 or 800MHz or so, then you would
> use this program to set the multiplier register inside the
> Mobile processor.
>
> http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/AXP_multiplier_FAQ/AXP_Multiplier_FAQ.htm
> http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/main.htm (CPUMSR download)
>
> There are a number of boards that support socket 462 and
> FSB400/DDR400. With those, you could do 200x12.5 = 2500MHz,
> so low multipliers would be all you would need. You might
> need a RAM upgrade, if the board requires DDR333 or DDR400
> memory when running at FSB400. Some motherboard manuals
> have a table of what combinations of RAM speed and FSB

Yes I think you're correct when you say that finding one may be difficult!

I'm not interested in doing all the tweaks that go into making the 2600 M
work on this board. This computer is #3 out of 5 in my network and I was
thinking that a new CPU (up from Athlon 1600) and a one hundred dollar bill
might put a little more life in this machine (it's got plenty of RAM and a
RAID 0 drive).

Perhaps your right that the "ratio between the core and the FSB" may be a
problem.

Hmmmm,.....maybe I let well enough alone and save that $100.00

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001

"Paul4" wrote:
> [...]
> connect AJ27 to AH26 (logic 1).
>
> Software tools like CPUMSR can also be used to change the
> multiplier
> when booted into Windows. Presumably, what would happen, is
> the
> computer would boot at 600 or 800MHz or so, then you would
> use this program to set the multiplier register inside the
> Mobile processor.
>
> http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/AXP_multiplier_FAQ/AXP_Multiplier_FAQ.htm
> http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/main.htm (CPUMSR download)
>
> There are a number of boards that support socket 462 and
> FSB400/DDR400. With those, you could do 200x12.5 = 2500MHz,
> so low multipliers would be all you would need. You might
> need a RAM upgrade, if the board requires DDR333 or DDR400
> memory when running at FSB400. Some motherboard manuals
> have a table of what combinations of RAM speed and FSB

Hi

I took Paul4’s advise last night and did the ’wire trick’ on my
A7V266-E board. I am also now runing a mobile barton core 2600+ chip
(266FSB version.)

I have followed the instructions and my machine is powering up, but
the main board only picks the cpu up at 1866 in the bois startup
screen. If I change the multipler it doesnt make any differece (in
Windows using WCPUID) it still runs at 14 x 133 eg 1833mhz (1.57
volts). It wont run any faster?

The mother board is running in Jumper free mode and i dont know why
this is hapening, can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Paulj

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-amp-V266-amp-AMD-Athlon-XP-2600-ftopict48883.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=240093

Paul

Splendid

In article <42273f9f$1_5@alt.athenanews.com>, paulj
<UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > need a RAM upgrade, if the board requires DDR333 or DDR400
> > memory when running at FSB400. Some motherboard manuals
> > have a table of what combinations of RAM speed and FSB
> > are possible.
> >
> > HTH,
> > Paul
>
> Hi
>
> I took Paul4’s advise last night and did the ’wire trick’ on my
> A7V266-E board. I am also now runing a mobile barton core 2600+ chip
> (266FSB version.)
>
> I have followed the instructions and my machine is powering up, but
> the main board only picks the cpu up at 1866 in the bois startup
> screen. If I change the multipler it doesnt make any differece (in
> Windows using WCPUID) it still runs at 14 x 133 eg 1833mhz (1.57
> volts). It wont run any faster?
>
> The mother board is running in Jumper free mode and i dont know why

If Jumperfree mode is refusing to accept multiplier settings,
go to Jumper mode. Set JEN to 1-2 position. Set Sysclk to
133MHz (all switches OFF). Then, use CPU_ratio DSW near
the top edge of the board.

Now, compare the CPU_Ratio info in the manual, to the table
from fab51. Notice that the bit positions in the table are
reversed. So, you can use the fab51 info, to set your switches,
as long as you remember to reverse the order. I've included
these table entries, to show how fab51 compares to your manual.

CPU_ratio Switch position 1 2 3 4 5 fab51 barton FID4,3,2,1,0
8X ON -OFF-ON -OFF-ON C:C:C
8.5X OFF-OFF-ON -OFF-ON C:C::
9X ON -ON -OFF-OFF-ON C:C::
9.5X OFF-ON -OFF-OFF-ON C::C:
10X ON -OFF-OFF-OFF-ON C:::C
10.5X OFF-OFF-OFF-OFF-ON C::::

Here is the full table, quoted from fab51:
The Barton table is the same as the L6 mobile table.
http://fab51.com/cpu/barton/athlon-e23.html

Barton FSB:166
Mult Core L3-FID[4:0]
5.0x 833 CC:CC -
5.5x 917 CC:C: -
6.0x 1000 CC::C -
6.5x 1083 CC::: -
7.0x 1167 C:CCC -
7.5x 1250 C:CC: -
8.0x 1333 C:C:C -
8.5x 1417 C:C:: -
9.0x 1500 C::CC -
9.5x 1583 C::C: -
10.0x 1667 C:::C -
10.5x 1750 C:::: -
11.0x 1833 CCCCC -
11.5x 1917 CCCC: -
12.0x 2000 CCC:C -
12.5x 2083 CCC:: -
13.0x 2167 :C:CC -
13.5x 2250 :C:C: -
14.0x 2333 :C::C -
21.0x - :C::: -
15.0x 2500 ::CCC -
22.0x - ::CC: -
16.0x 2667 ::C:C -
16.5x 2750 ::C:: -
17.0x 2833 :::CC -
18.0x 3000 :::C: -
23.0x - ::::C -
24.0x - ::::: -
3.0x Invalid :CCCC -
19.0x - :CCC: -
4.0x Invalid :CC:C -
20.0x - :CC:: -

When fooling with the multiplier, the best approach is to set
the system clock to 100MHz, until you are sure you have the right
multiplier set. Say, for example, you set 14x. With the clock
at 100MHz, the BIOS will show 1400MHz. Once you are sure, then
change the clock to 133MHz and start the computer again.

Now, concerning the wire trick. With the wire in place, I would
only try switch settings in the lower half of the table, starting
with 13.0x. The reason for this, is I don't know whether the
switch position 5 on DSW is wired to the socket or not. I am
worried about the DSW fighting with the wire in the socket.
To eliminate that as a possibility, stick to multiplier codes
that have :xxxx as the format (from 13.0x to 20.0x in the table
above), as long as the wire is in the socket.

Tell us how it works out.

Also, I don't know why the BIOS was not able to set the multiplier.
Unless it was a recognition problem or something. Maybe the BIOS
won't set the multiplier with the wire in place ? Maybe a later
version of BIOS would work better ? That is the nature of working
with Mobiles - everything is an experiment :)

Paul

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001

"Paul4" wrote:
> [...]
> with 13.0x. The reason for this, is I don't know whether the
> switch position 5 on DSW is wired to the socket or not. I am
> worried about the DSW fighting with the wire in the socket.
> To eliminate that as a possibility, stick to multiplier codes
> that have :xxxx as the format (from 13.0x to 20.0x in the
> table
> above), as long as the wire is in the socket.
>
> Tell us how it works out.
>
> Also, I don't know why the BIOS was not able to set the
> multiplier.
> Unless it was a recognition problem or something. Maybe the
> BIOS
> won't set the multiplier with the wire in place ? Maybe a
> later
> version of BIOS would work better ? That is the nature of
> working
> with Mobiles - everything is an experiment :)

Hi Paul

Thanks for your relpy.

I had another go with this last night for a few hours.

I did indeed put the mother board into jumper mode by changnig JEN to
1-2, set the clock to 100fsb and the voltage to 1.52. I have tried the
multiplier at 14, 15, 15.5, 16, 16.5 & 17 all with the same results,
it sticks at a 14 multipler (Im checking by using cpuz in Windows).
I’m reluctant to go any higher in case I cook the CPU (its a XP-M
2600+ 266FSB).

So it seems that jumper mode or not, the CPU wont go and higher than
14 clock.

At the moment I have the CPU running @ 1.96ghz (14*140fsb), in jumper
mode at 1.52 volts. (Set the dip switches manually)

Not to worry, its better than what was in there previously (AMD XP
1600+) .

Thanks for your help,

Paulj

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-amp-V266-amp-AMD-Athlon-XP-2600-ftopict48883.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=240594

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001

"paulj" wrote:
> [...]
> Windows).
> I’m reluctant to go any higher in case I cook the CPU (its a
> XP-M
> 2600+ 266FSB).
>
> So it seems that jumper mode or not, the CPU wont go and
> higher than
> 14 clock.
>
> At the moment I have the CPU running @ 1.96ghz (14*140fsb), in
> jumper
> mode at 1.52 volts. (Set the dip switches manually)
>
> Not to worry, its better than what was in there previously
> (AMD XP
> 1600+) .
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Paulj
>
> --
> Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at
> author's request
> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet

Worked this out a last.

The motherboard had the PLAO_FREQ (FID0/1/2/3) set to the PALOMINO
setting and not the Athlon setting. I changed this and it picked the
CPU settings up fine.

I am playing with the speed on the board, 16.5 x 140fsb (1.56volts)
giving 2.31ghz. Will have to keep an eye on it to make sure im not
running it too fast, but so far it seems ok.

Thanks for all your help, great forum, will def use again....!!

Paulj

Paul

Splendid

In article <42290766$1_2@alt.athenanews.com>, paulj
<DoNotEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:

> Hi Paul
>
> Worked this out a last.
>
> The motherboard had the PLAO_FREQ (FID0/1/2/3) set to the PALOMINO
> setting and not the Athlon setting. I changed this and it picked the
> CPU settings up fine.
>
> I am playing with the speed on the board, 16.5 x 140fsb (1.56volts)
> giving 2.31ghz. Will have to keep an eye on it to make sure im not
> running it too fast, but so far it seems ok.
>
> Thanks for all your help, great forum, will def use again....!!
>
> Paulj

Excellent.

Thanks for posting the tip about the Athlon setting.
That may help someone else.

To test stability, I would recommend a couple of tools.
The first tool to set up, is a temperature monitor application,
like Motherboard Monitor (no longer supported, but will work
for older boards, mbm.livewiredev.com) or Asus Probe. You
can get Asus Probe from the download page, by entering a
motherboard name of "tools".

Once you are able to read some kind of CPU temperature,
the next tool to get is Prime95 from mersenne.org . There
is an option in the menu called the "Torture Test". It is
a calculation with a known answer, and the calculation loads
the computer to 100%. When the test is running, the CPU will
get as hot as it is going to get, and so you can watch it
and see whether your current cooling solution is good enough.

Prime95 should not throw any errors, for you to be able to
accept your current 16.5x140 setting. If you are going to
have problems, they might show up in the first 30 minutes.
Once you have proven you are "Prime stable", there is a
greatly reduced risk of a crash later while using the
system.

Another thing to watch, is the voltage reading for +5V.
Assuming your board powers the CPU from +5V, expect the
voltage reading on that rail to drop a bit, while Prime
is running. If the 5V drops below about 4.7V or so, you
might want to find a more capable power supply. Using the
worst test I could construct, my Mobile uses 16.6 amps from
+5V, and my 9800pro video card uses another 5.5 amps from +5V,
via its drive power cable. So, a power supply with at least
22A on +5V might not be a bad thing, if you have a video card
with an aux power cable. At least 17A would be good for a
computer with a low end video card, like a FX5200.

Paul