Discussion A very interesting and well written article on Formula E batteries.

I was flipping through the TV channels today and saw they had Formula E racing on. I was kinda going Meh at it all, until I started reading up on them. They reach the 62 MPH mark at the same 2.8 sec speed F1 cars can, but are limited to a 174 MPH top speed, vs 230 MPH.

The real impressive part is the battery, which was created in 2014, and has only undergone fairly minor design changes since.

Just How Far Can You Push an Electric Car Battery?
https://jalopnik.com/just-how-far-can-you-push-an-electric-car-battery-1827929360

Last edited:

Honeybun54

Prominent
Jun 28, 2019
I actually have a friend from high school who became a electrical engineer and spent a season with the Andretti Formula E team. If you have any questions or curiosities about the car or batteries I could certainly ask.

I actually have a friend from high school who became a electrical engineer and spent a season with the Andretti Formula E team. If you have any questions or curiosities about the car or batteries I could certainly ask.
Cool, actually I do. It seems in this article they're saying it's one large battery. I know consumer e cars have the whole floor area covered with batteries, but obviously with formula e, space is at a premium. The rough dimensions he indicated seem too big to fit in such a car though.

Can you tell me what the rough dimensions are, and if it's one large pack made of multiple cells, or actually one huge cell? Also, can you maybe link me to a site that shows the anatomy of such cars via a see through diagram?

I found this brief see through diagram video that shows a good reference of battery size and talks about how many cells they have. I was most intrigued by the massive radiators on either side of the car. I know the brake cooling is critical on this kind of car, but if they're used for that it seems it would have to be the brake fluid they're cooling.

This doesn't appear to be the latest gen of Formula E car though because the newest Qualcomm car is shown with a "halo" type roll cage.