Question a way to find what was changed

naviseyer

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
The backup for our server usually increase slightly everyday or every otherday. For some reason my backup on 4/4/20 is 1.8TB and on 4/8/20 it is only 1.65TB. The amount of folders and files are the same.

That is alot of data for a user to have deleted which i dont think is possible specially because we have a skeleton crew in place because of the covid19 thing going on in NYC.

Is there somewhere i could check to see if large amount of files where somehow deleted between 4/4 and 4/8.

I also have Vss copies running and i did a quick once over and cant find any differences between the main share folder sizes from today and the 4/4 .
In properties the size still match. I didnt compare every folder but the folders that contain the the majority of files like project,estimates all still match.

if there is somewhere on the server where i could see if large amount of files were deleted i would apreciate it if someone could let me know.

if someone has an idea of another reason something like this could happen please let me know...

Besides spinning up a backup and comparing it 1 folder at a time im not sure what to do

thanks in advance for any help

Navi

alceryes

Distinguished
WIll take some work but, if you have a test environment that you could restore both backups to, you could use something like Beyond Compare to show the differences. The program is mainly use for syncing A to B data sets and delta copies but you could just report and not copy so that you can see where the change occurred.

naviseyer

Reputable
Nov 8, 2016
I was hoping for someplace on the server where I could see if files have been deleted. Kinda like when I look in the shared folders and I can see what users have what files open and how long the have been open.

we only have 4 shared folders that actually contain that amount of data.
it would be estimates or projects . No other shared folders actually contain more then a few gigs .

guess it’s back to the drawing board. I guess I can compare one folder at a time from the backup to current . I have done this on the folders that have enough data to lose the .15tb or 150 gigs...

thanks for the reply

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
FreeFileSync can compare two folders (or folder trees), and highlight the differences.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS