[SOLVED] A way to protect a file with personal info?

Perene

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
I have compiled lots of sensitive information concerning bank accounts, emails, passwords, etc. from my stuff.

The problem is I saved this as a PDF password-protected. However I believe even if the password is strong (to open the file) programs in theory may remove it, so making this not a bad idea.

I heard that encrypting the text with the use of any password will solve this problem. If that's true then the "garbage" can be stored plainly and will only be decrypted if we know the password.

Like this:

https://gillmeister-software.com/online-tools/text/encrypt-decrypt-text.aspx

Since I don't know anything about this subject yet I need to ask if this is what will be the best for me and if I should use a particular software.

About the content: it's only text. So it's all created in NOTEPAD.

The goal would be to never reveal anything unless the right password is used. So it should be foolproof, no way of hacking.

Solution
You can encrypt any file (or folder of files) into an auto-extracting executable with 7-Zip, which encompasses AES256 encryption....

(I have Notepad docs with a large variety of assorted log-ins/passwords so encrypted...)
I have compiled lots of sensitive information concerning bank accounts, emails, passwords, etc. from my stuff.

The problem is I saved this as a PDF password-protected. However I believe even if the password is strong (to open the file) programs in theory may remove it, so making this not a bad idea.

I heard that encrypting the text with the use of any password will solve this problem. If that's true then the "garbage" can be stored plainly and will only be decrypted if we know the password.

Like this:

https://gillmeister-software.com/online-tools/text/encrypt-decrypt-text.aspx

Since I don't know anything about this subject yet I need to ask if this is what will be the best for me and if I should use a particular software.

About the content: it's only text. So it's all created in NOTEPAD.

The goal would be to never reveal anything unless the right password is used. So it should be foolproof, no way of hacking.
There’s always a way to hack stuff. I’d say buy a Mac because everything on there is encrypted anyway but on windows just encrypt the folder.

Ralston18

Titan
Seconding @mdd1963

However, I never use the full account numbers - usually just the last four digits are enough to keep accounts separate and individually identifiable.

Likewise no stored links that someone could easily copy/click and get to a specific bank or other personal information - doctor's "portal".

But they still need the account login name and password. Plus 2-factor authentication when available.

And be sure to have hard copy backup of everything. Hopefully in a safe or other secure location.

My planning always includes that my computers are inoperable, there is no power, and maybe I will not be able to get home for a few days.

Think in terms of an emergency evacuation. You are given 10 minutes to leave - if you are even home.....