Question A weird bq Pure Rock question

May 11, 2019
Hey there!

I'm planning to build a pc, and i plan to use be quiet! Pure Rock as my CPU cooler. I never attempted building a pc before, so there are always new questions popping up in my head in preparation.
Here is my newest one:

To my knowledge, fans blow in the direction of their un-grilled (is that the right word?) side, where the company's logo is in most cases.
Now then; any picture or video i see about Pure Rock shows me that the fan is attached with the grilled side to the heatsink. And the whole thing is facing towards the DIMM slots.
So, if it works as i think it works, the fan, mounted in the pictured direction would blow air towards the DIMM slots and the front of the case, countering the front intake fans of the case, which usually blow air towards the motherboard.

Even in their own tutorial video about installing the cooler, they face the fan like that.

Soooo what's going on here actually? I mean, i know the guys who designed these are not stupid, but i still need that little assurance from someone who actually dealt with these before, that it's me overthinking, and it works, or something...

Thanks for any replies.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If you are looking through the window in a standard oriented case, airflow (that includes the cpu cooler or any fan,) moves from lower-right to upper left. That's front to back. Any fan contrary to that just confuses the nice flow of air and you get a cyclic pattern, which does nothing but recycle warm air at an ever increasing rate until its saturated.

Fans draw in the un-grilled and side, exhaust out the other.
Case exhaust fan <- heatsink <- cpu fan <- case intake fan

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Check the fan, it will almost always have two (2) arrows on it; one arrow indicates rotation direction and the other indicates airflow direction.

vxfTvl0.jpg

Normally, the sticker on the fan hub (center) indicates that the fan is moving air from that side of the blades, through to the back, which often has copper windings visible for the magnetic coils. In short, the fan should blow (push) air through the fins of the cooling tower, or if there are 2 or more fans, one fan pushes air though the cooling fins, while the second pulls it through the other side...which is why the term push/pull is used.

In this example, two fans are used in push/pull to move air through a liquid cooling radiator. Both fans are oriented to move air in the same linear direction.
p217CY9.png