[SOLVED] A weird GPU problem that might have a simple fix. help!!

Syed_Yasir

Honorable
Sep 17, 2015
My specs :

Seasonic S2II Bronze 520w PSU
i3 8350k overclocked to 4.8ghz
Gigabyte z390 Motherboard
Gskill Ripjaws 8x2GB 3200mhz RAM
ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC II Gfx
Kingston m2.0 SSD

The problem:
The screen randomly goes black (the monitor receives no signal), the sounds still play and the buttons work fine, then I hear a hardware disconnect sound. I use my keyboard to put my PC to sleep and when I restart, the Graphics card driver says but the display is working at lower res:

CODE 43: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems.

I restart my computer and the problem gets fixed. I managed to recreate the same problem when I slightly move my GFX card a little. It wobbles a little (more than normal tho) in the case! Power cables are firmly connected, it seems like the PCI-E chip / strip on the gfx card is the problem.
If I brace my GFX card with something, pushing it up a little, the problem does not occur, for days, but sometimes it happens again. Any ideas fellas?
I can't buy a new GFX card right now. and this one takes stress tests pretty fine, but the loose PCIe chip! :(

Edit: I have tested the card on a different Motherboard,PSU, RAM and CPU combo! Same problem!

Solution
Card may have developed a bend in it.

You could re-do the thermal compound. That would relax any tension built up by the board changing shape over the years.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Card might be dying since you got the same problem on another board. Did you use the same power supply? It could also be on the way out (shouldn't be if it is as new as the rest of the system)

Take the card out and inspect the pins along the edge, give them a quick clean with some isopropyl alcohol. With enough wiggling, you may have built up an oxide or dust layer that is making the connection intermittent.

To reduce wiggling in the slot, you can loosen the motherboard, apply a little torque while the card is in the slot and then tighten it back down. (If it is sagging, turn the motherboard in the opposite direction of the sag) Another method is to jam, literally jam and then run it in with a screwdriver, a screw from the backside of the chassis where you see the slot cover of your GPU sticking through. Securing this completely will add a lot of stiffness to the card. (Video below)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOXYE3hx_JY

Beyond that, I would start trying your hardest to secure an RTX3060 or something. When you can get them at retail, they aren't too bad.

Reactions: Syed_Yasir

Syed_Yasir

Honorable
Sep 17, 2015
Card might be dying since you got the same problem on another board. Did you use the same power supply? It could also be on the way out (shouldn't be if it is as new as the rest of the system)

Take the card out and inspect the pins along the edge, give them a quick clean with some isopropyl alcohol. With enough wiggling, you may have built up an oxide or dust layer that is making the connection intermittent.

To reduce wiggling in the slot, you can loosen the motherboard, apply a little torque while the card is in the slot and then tighten it back down. (If it is sagging, turn the motherboard in the opposite direction of the sag) Another method is to jam, literally jam and then run it in with a screwdriver, a screw from the backside of the chassis where you see the slot cover of your GPU sticking through. Securing this completely will add a lot of stiffness to the card. (Video below)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOXYE3hx_JY

Beyond that, I would start trying your hardest to secure an RTX3060 or something. When you can get them at retail, they aren't too bad.

I saw this video before, there is no space in my cabinet to adjust a screw in.
It was working totally fine before, The problem started when I switched it from my older build to this one, something must've been messed up when I switched. Now it crashes on both the systems.
The other ideas seem worth trying. I'll do that. Thanks a lot.