A weird WiFi problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, so, I have a weird Wi-FI problem. I've been troubleshooting my Wi-Fi connection for quite a while and I finally found what it is, sort of. Thing is, I don't know what to do about it...

So I have a USB wireless adapter for my desktop. Generally, I have an external hard drive connected. Initially when I installed this USB wireless adapter, the internet was painfully slow. All my other devices had fast internet in the same location on the same connection. I thought it was my USB adapter, so I bought another one (different brand + model), and I had the same problems...

After multiple days of troubleshooting, one day I didn't have my external hard drive connected, and well, everything worked perfectly on both USB adapters. I tested the ping to the router, reconnected the hard drive and tested the ping again... When the hard drive is not connected, ping is generally 1ms with some spikes here and there up to 10ms. With the hard drive connected, my ping is at least 10ms, with spikes all the way over 2500ms.

I obviously want to use my hard drive without having crappy wireless connection, so... Does anyone know how to solve this? Because this is quite the mystery to me...

I'm using;
Windows 7 x64
Hard drive is a Seagate Green drive in a sharkoon external HDD case.
Router is a Comtrend
USB adapters are a Panda PAU06 and a Linksys AE1200.

matthew_nicho2

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Could be that the HDD, enclosure or the PSU for the enclosure (if it isn't usb powered) could be interfering with the wi-fi signal. I mean EMI rather than usb port interference. Some third party power transformers can have an audible buzz to it which could be the source of the problem.

Try connect the HDD to something else thats near where you usually have it and see if the same thing happens. If it does then it's got to be interference coming from that device (the HDD). If not then it could be a USB compatability problem; The HDD driver and the WI-FI driver conflicting.

koffeeshop77

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015
you need a powered usb adapter for you hdd, it is taking too much power not leaving your wifi connections with enough power to operate properly.
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0J2-005D-00028R&cm_re=powered_usb_hub-_-0J2-005D-00028R-_-Product
get this and hook the hdd up to it and will fix the problem

Ok I'll try that and report the findings here...

Hm interesting. I doubt that would be it however. When I connect the HDD to my laptop, it still retains a proper wifi connection with a low ping to the router. Although I use my laptop somewhere else, actually farther away from the router. I'll try using it in the same room anyway to see what happens.

My external HDD already uses an external power source. I doubt this would be case. I'll try what the other people have suggested, and if nothing helps, I'll try your suggestion.

My external HDD case: http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/node/1582

Status
Not open for further replies.