Question A whole lot of problem just because of a game

May 15, 2023
Sorry if this is the wrong forum to be asking this, but I really need help and am not sure as to what to do anymore, any help or thoughts will be appreciated. I'll start from the very beginning.

I've had my PC for almost 5 years now no problems till now. It has a MSI B450 Tomahawk Max with a Ryzen 5 3600 and GTX 1060. Just recently when I am playing Valorant, I noticed that my game would end up "blacking out" whenever I alt tab even just once and that really set me off as it made the game really unplayable. I've played Valorant since beta and never had any issue with it before. Weirdly enough it just happens on Valorant not on any games I played like Forza H5 and many more. Basically I tried a lot of things to try and fix it but nothing did and then one day I found a website that said maybe my bios was behind. At that point I said why not and gave it a shot and tried updating my bios to Version"7C02v3G". And now my PC wont even have a display out when turning on. Everything lights up and fans run but no display. I noticed that the "CPU" light was on my motherboard. And so, I tried to do a flash bios with a sandisk flash drive formatted as FAT32, but with a bios Version "7C02v3F" which was second newest version. And now, the motherboard flash bios light was blinking for a good 10 mins and now its a solid red. Any thoughts?

I'm sorry if my question or story made no sense. please let me know if you know anything or if something was unclear. I just really need help, I can't afford to buy a new PC as I am only a student and need this for college. Thanks.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
and then one day I found a website that said maybe my bios was behind. At that point I said why not and gave it a shot and tried updating my bios to Version"7C02v3G". And now my PC wont even have a display out when turning on. Everything lights up and fans run but no display. I noticed that the "CPU" light was on my motherboard. And so, I tried to do a flash bios with a sandisk flash drive formatted as FAT32, but with a bios Version "7C02v3F" which was second newest version. And now, the motherboard flash bios light was blinking for a good 10 mins and now its a solid red. Any thoughts?

Updating BIOS isn't something you can do on a whim. BIOS update, as such, is only viable when you know for a fact that newer BIOS fixes the specific issue you have with your PC. (E.g if i want to use Kaby Lake CPU with my Z170 chipset MoBo, i need to update my MoBo BIOS.) If there are no issues, there is no reason, what-so-ever, to update BIOS. Just because you "can" update BIOS doesn't mean that you "have to". Or in other words: "If it ain't broke - don't fix it."

Most MoBos never get their BIOS updated and work fine until they are obsolete. Also, do note that when BIOS update would be interrupted for whatever reason (e.g power loss), your MoBo will be bricked since PC won't run when MoBo has corrupt BIOS. And only fix is MoBo replacement. If lucky, you can roll back the BIOS update, if your MoBo has that feature.

This here is what i call a life's tax.

Just recently when I am playing Valorant, I noticed that my game would end up "blacking out" whenever I alt tab even just once and that really set me off as it made the game really unplayable.

Run in (borderless) window mode? This usually fixes the Alt+Tab issue.

2nd option would've been asking help from Valorant official forums. Perhaps devs have seen it before and there's a fix for that.
Also, it is possible that one of the latest Win updates did something.

May 15, 2023
Updating BIOS isn't something you can do on a whim. BIOS update, as such, is only viable when you know for a fact that newer BIOS fixes the specific issue you have with your PC. (E.g if i want to use Kaby Lake CPU with my Z170 chipset MoBo, i need to update my MoBo BIOS.) If there are no issues, there is no reason, what-so-ever, to update BIOS. Just because you "can" update BIOS doesn't mean that you "have to". Or in other words: "If it ain't broke - don't fix it."

Most MoBos never get their BIOS updated and work fine until they are obsolete. Also, do note that when BIOS update would be interrupted for whatever reason (e.g power loss), your MoBo will be bricked since PC won't run when MoBo has corrupt BIOS. And only fix is MoBo replacement. If lucky, you can roll back the BIOS update, if your MoBo has that feature.

This here is what i call a life's tax.

Run in (borderless) window mode? This usually fixes the Alt+Tab issue.

2nd option would've been asking help from Valorant official forums. Perhaps devs have seen it before and there's a fix for that.
Also, it is possible that one of the latest Win updates did something.
I see so I guess I need a new mobo now sadly but thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. Ig I just have to save up until I can get one

D

Deleted member 2947362

hello,
This might sound stupid but turn on your PC leave it for a good 10 mins, some motherboards mine included can take a few mins to reboot after some BIOS updates, It seem like its not doing anything just locked to a black screen but its most likely running self diag tests before it finally boots to life which can take some motherboards a few mins depending on what the new BIOS update has added feature wise or fixed from past buggy bios

It's worth a try at the very least.

please let me know if this has worked or if it hasn't ?

There is still something we could try to bring your board back to life you have nothing to lose at his point if doesn't work and everything to gain if it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2947362

I see so I guess I need a new mobo now sadly but thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. Ig I just have to save up until I can get one
your motherboard supports

Flash BIOS Button: Simply use a USB key to flash any BIOS within seconds, without installing a CPU, memory or graphics card

we might or should be able to recover it using that and an older BIOS

so I wouldn't just write the o'l gal off just yet if I was you.

May 15, 2023
your motherboard supports

Flash BIOS Button: Simply use a USB key to flash any BIOS within seconds, without installing a CPU, memory or graphics card

we might or should be able to recover it using that and an older BIOS

so I wouldn't just write the o'l gal off just yet if I was you.
oh really how would I go about it then? just download an older bios again?

May 15, 2023
hello,
This might sound stupid but turn on your PC leave it for a good 10 mins, some motherboards mine included can take a few mins to reboot after some BIOS updates, It seem like its not doing anything just locked to a black screen but its most likely running self diag tests before it finally boots to life which can take some motherboards a few mins depending on what the new BIOS update has added feature wise or fixed from past buggy bios

It's worth a try at the very least.

please let me know if this has worked or if it hasn't ?

There is still something we could try to bring your board back to life you have nothing to lose at his point if doesn't work and everything to gain if it works.
sadly it did not work. What do you have in mind I could try to get it back and running?

D

Deleted member 2947362

It's late\early where I am now 3.15am lol

I was thinking try using the BIOS flash back feature although I'm tired now and don't want to make mistake if u need advise on the process maybe some else can guide you through it, it's at the very least worth a try

download the newest release BIOS for your board if it supports BIOS flash back follow the process to use it

May 15, 2023
It's late\early where I am now 3.15am lol

I was thinking try using the BIOS flash back feature although I'm tired now and don't want to make mistake if u need advise on the process maybe some else can guide you through it, it's at the very least worth a try

download the newest release BIOS for your board if it supports BIOS flash back follow the process to use it
Gotcha, I will try that. Thank you for responding despite it being so late there!

D

Deleted member 2947362

It would great to hear it worked and it's up and running again

Your original problem may have been a driver issue but I'm not 100% sure it's just a possibility.

Also if the newest BIOS does not work try the last known BIOS version that you knew worked with your system

May 15, 2023
It would great to hear it worked and it's up and running again

Your original problem may have been a driver issue but I'm not 100% sure it's just a possibility.

Also if the newest BIOS does not work try the last known BIOS version that you knew worked with your system
sadly it did not do anything

D

Deleted member 2947362

sadly it did not do anything
oh well you tried

Don't understand why BIOS flash back has not recovered the motherboard,?

Still wouldn't given/quit yet (but that's just me)

I would try after using flash back removing CMOS battery from the motherboard
would also try bare board boot just CPU, GPU and 1 stick of ram, I would try each stick of ram by it's self in each slot
test with different GPU and PSU

but that's probs easy for me to say as I have spare parts, been into PC's for years and you can kind of end up with loads of spare parts from upgrades and other builds from past, i have the problem of - just never know when they might come in handy lol

I hate losing to hardware lol

D

Deleted member 2947362

Try to use the BIOS Flashback feature on your motherboard. This feature allows you to flash any BIOS version within seconds without needing to install a CPU, memory, or graphics card. You can download an older BIOS version compatible with your motherboard and follow the process outlined in your motherboard's manual to perform the BIOS flashback. This might help recover your motherboard and get it up and running again.
It's a dead thread the OP gave the old part's from the build in this post to help his brother out and his brother used parts that worked to built himself a working a PC.

we went through all the flash back options among others in another thread, nothing worked.