A Wild Gainward GeForce GTX 780 Phantom Appears

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I remember correctly they had a similar card with the 670 series of cards and it was very noisy considering that it was a heatsink only solution. I'll believe it when I see it mainly because of the coil whine that may ensue.

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
I really wish more manufacturers would design their heat sinks like this. Blowing air over fins is very inefficient. Turbulent air has circulation as it enters the fins and kills heat transfer. Pulling air through fins that are long enough (to give time for the flow to adjust using the Darcy equation and such) allows for full flow and boundary layer adjustment.

Sorry to slap on all of the theory here, but it's the complicated engineering behind something that looks simple (it can be pure hell). I really appreciate these efforts, and you should too since you can over clock higher or play cooler :D

the theory is fine, but we must look at the evidence:

how in hell are companies like ASUS and MSI able to design "inefficient" cooling with only TWO instead of three fans, and beat Gainward Phantom designs in the past? (look at gtx 680 and 670)...

Blazer1985

Honorable
May 21, 2012
This cooler is SUPER EFFECTIVE :)
Not saying that just to continue the title's pokemon theme :-D
I have a Gainward gtx 680 phantom and it is a very quiet card. What I love the most though is the fact that temperature stays at 70C even after hours of gpgpu operation. Best card I ever had, rock solid.

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Quote:
I really wish more manufacturers would design their heat sinks like this. Blowing air over fins is very inefficient. Turbulent air has circulation as it enters the fins and kills heat transfer. Pulling air through fins that are long enough (to give time for the flow to adjust using the Darcy equation and such) allows for full flow and boundary layer adjustment.

Sorry to slap on all of the theory here, but it's the complicated engineering behind something that looks simple (it can be pure hell). I really appreciate these efforts, and you should too since you can over clock higher or play cooler :D

The theory is fine when applied to large scale environments. The problem is that this is too small of a scale for any of the theory to make a significant difference.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006

Errr...what? When it comes to heat transfer you want your fluid to be moving turbulently as the mixing pulls heat away more efficiently. Laminar flow will actually tend to act as an insulator which is bad for heat transfer (it forces you into radiative heat transfer away for conductive heat transfer).

G

How the hell do you have a WF3 780?

kid-mid

Honorable
May 1, 2013

been out for weeks now, what do you mean.?

G

Actually, IDK, I returned my 780, and over the past few days been looking at the WF3 770.
Where did you get yours from?

kid-mid

Honorable
May 1, 2013

I got my 770's from newegg but now superbiiz has a deal without tax and you still can get the Splinter Cell download.
I got my 780 from newegg as well.

look see :D :

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?p=GA-N770O2G&c=fr&pid=3770ac19b7573902fb81bb37f7ffdd8b35b5fc6d5233941c95564be50577fd37&gclid=CMfLp8SytLgCFQsV7AoduFcAAw

G

Thanks, ill PM you some questions I have so we don't spam notifications to OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.