A worthy upgrade for a 8800 gts machine

camarillo2006

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
i want to hear some thoughts if i need to upgrade or stay with my current card it is http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?id=498
its a 302mb card and running a little bit over clocked not to much but i was looking at the gtx250 or 260 but i was also looking at ati but so many choices what do i choose ,i play warhammer online,crysis ,farcry2,about to play fallout3,just want to play wit no lags or as few as possible

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
fallout 3 is a terrible choice in game to look at for a new videocard... as... it doesnt use it. fallout 3 mostly uses your cpu. you will notice that pretty much all high end video cards produce the exact same results in fallout 3.

there is a huge difference between a gts250 and a gtx260. the gts is actually just a revised version of old card. updated repeatedly. its a 9800gtx+ with a new name on it. the gtx260 is actually part of the gtx200 series, and is a much better card.

why do you have an nvidia bias? have u considered ati?

If you had the 640 version, I would say SLI it. The 320 version though would be held back by its limited RAM for many newer games. If you're just gonna go with a single card then a Radeon 4870 1GB is certainly a great card for the money right now. The GTS 250 1GB is a bit overpriced as the cheaper Radeon 4850 1GB performs about as well.

camarillo2006

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
ok im looking more bang for the buck but i like my 8800 but want more so i have been looking at the prices of hte 4870 1gb ed and i like it but still thinkimg the gtx260 core 216 ,also my spec are

e2200 t 2.2 ghz wanna upgrade to a e8500 or q6600
4gigs of corsair xms2 ram
vista 32
and a apevia 500 watt psu im looking to upgrade psu to like a 650 or 700 watt

It would be a good idea to upgrade the PSU first, both the GTX260 and HD4870 draw more power than the 8800GTS and require two 6 pin PCI-E connectors. Apevia are not the best around and 500W is at the low end of the power requirements for either card, so it may struggle and cause an unstable system.

The two cards you are looking at are comparable, but I would suggest the GTX260 as best for you, switching chip makers can lead to driver problems and with both cards being of similar performance it will just be easier to stay with Nvidia.
Neither card will give its best with the current CPU and would be better matched with those you have listed, and the CPU should be the last upgrade to carry out.