[SOLVED] A worthy upgrade?

Jan 12, 2020
I currently own an ASUS AC1200G+ router and am considering upgrading to the ASUS AC58U V2. The AC1200G+ works just fine with moderate range in my apartment, but the MU-MIMO feature on AC58U V2 is quite tempting; especially considering that I sometimes have around 10 connected guests. Is it an upgrade worth considering?

Last edited:
Solution
MIMO only matters if the client devices also support it. If they don't then you get no benefit. If wanted to get to ADD a second WIFI source that you could distribute devices across (you wouldn't get the guest isolation) then you might benefit. I don't think I would spend the money.
In an apartment there are tons of competing WIFI signals from all the other apartments. Get devices onto a wired connection for improved performance.

kanewolf

Titan
MIMO only matters if the client devices also support it. If they don't then you get no benefit. If wanted to get to ADD a second WIFI source that you could distribute devices across (you wouldn't get the guest isolation) then you might benefit. I don't think I would spend the money.
In an apartment there are tons of competing WIFI signals from all the other apartments. Get devices onto a wired connection for improved performance.

Solution