35-200-037-01.jpg

And here's your image:
3520003701.jpg

Linky: http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/35-200-037-01.jpg

Congratz on finding it :kaola:

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
I don't want a Zalman for my i7 to be honest - many tests I've seen don't cool a heavily-overclocked i7 as well as most other coolers.

I'm torn between the TRUE Black Rev C and a Mega Shadow.

I just thought that cooler looked sick and as I couldn't find it at first I thought it was a Zalman thing given the similar looking fin arrangement.

Cheers guys!

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
The Mega Shadow is £70 in the UK - twice the standard Megahalem - which is just silly even for a special edition. The TRUE Black Rev C is £53, which is still higher than a fanless extreme 120 Rev C.

Even though I'm putting 25mm fans on the heatsink I'm a little concerned about the space the Mega Shadow will take up - interfering with the RAM on one side and the exhaust fan on the other (using a Silverstone Raven). I've seen plenty of pictures that show the Megahalem will fit, but it leaves no room to maneuver.

Plus there's only 1 degree deference between the two when you push-pull, so my quandary is is 1 degree lower temps worth the extra £17 for the Mega Shadow?

I also have aesthetic considerations too lol, but I am a designer and my builds are always built to look as good as they run.

Speaking of which, any good threads on these forums about replacing case LEDs? Regardless of the colour scheme I go for I'm wanting to swap out the activity LEDs on the Raven so some pointers would be nice.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Ah if only the Cogage was black then I would!

It's actually on my reserve list should budget not pan out. Yes, I always consider things aesthetically and tend to sway to the prettier if performance is the same, but obviously performance always comes first and it's just stupid to sacrifice performance for looks.

This coming from somebody getting Ballistix Tracer Red knowing he can't tighten the times up as much as Corsair Dominator. BUT I've found Ballistix at £110 per 6GB 1600MHz kit!

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Well if I decide on my fire-themed lighting then the Cogage would work - most of the sink will be hidden behind fans so I'd just need to colour the top black and the exposed copper heatpipes play in with the theme.

Now if I go the acid green route we'll have to see ;-)

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Dunno if I would do much painting. Just to mention powder coating exhaust tubes is to keep heat on the INSIDE of the tubes keeping the engine compartment a bit cooler, besides to make them look better.

Any paint will insulate. A bit here n there won't make any noticable difference in temps.

Also, the 1C difference can be due to sensor, ambient, fans, etc etc etc. So don't fret a 1C difference at all.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007

This is what I'm thinking - a lot of the benches from Anand, frostytech, hardwarecannucks, etc. all use the same testbed for their coolers and yes there's always going to be variances at play, but they're all consistent in their results - as a result, is the proven 1-2 degree lower temp the Megahalem/Mega Shadow worth the extra £13, especially when adding the fans will push this thing to £85?

No, I don't think so.

Is the aesthetic difference worth the extra £13? I'm honestly not so sure either.

Now I've only found 1 supplier of the Mega Shadow because I don't think it's officially released in Europe until next week (Prolimatech told me "end of October" and some German e-tailers are quoting dates in the 20s) so we'll see if the prices change much, and if the gap closes then perhaps we'll see.

As you say, powder coating acts as an insulator, but it could be plated (the black is nickel plating anyway) but in both cases by the time you've added the cost of plating you might as well have just bought the more expensive cooler anyway.