[SOLVED] A10-7800 Hitting Very High Temperatures

Feb 4, 2021
I know that first off it's probably old hardware but I'm trying to just get as much out of it as I can before it needs replacing 100%.

I have been having a bit of trouble with the temperatures on my CPU. Using AMD Radeon Software in gaming it reports that the CPU is clocking at 86-87 degrees with the fans at 100% speed. I think this is a bit abnormal especially with the max temperature apparently being 71.3 degrees!

What I have done to try to fix it:
  • Got a new CPU cooler - I am using a generic unbranded one with a large heat sink/fan and copper pipes.
  • Applied new thermal paste - I wiped the old stuff off with Isopropyl Alcohol and a Microfibre Cloth and there was none left. I have reapplied about a pea-size blob onto the CPU itself and seated the heat sink.
    • I have tried using the old cooler with fresh thermal paste also, same problem.
  • Cleaned the PC out - I have cleaned the entire thing for dust.
  • Reseated the case fan.
  • Checked the fans - they are spinning and hit 100% speed when gaming.
  • Repositioning the PC - I have tried putting it in a location where it can access a lot of air but this is still not helping.

The PC itself is a pre-built Lenovo PC so there is limited capacity in terms of the mobo/PSU having more fans attached etc. At idle it seems to sit around 44 degrees; on Firefox it is at 50-60 degrees dependant on what I am browsing.

It was hitting the same sort of temperatures before I replaced the cooler so I don't think it is this. The case itself feels very hot whilst gaming which I know isn't a sure fire indicator

However, Core Temp and Speccy both report the temperature as being 45-50 degrees which is wildly inaccurate to what Radeon Software is reporting. Not sure whether it is a major heat issue with the PC or whether Radeon Software is having a meltdown.

Specs are:
  • CPU - AMD A10 7800 (Not overclocked)
  • GPU - AMD Radeon R7 240
  • RAM - 12GB DDR3
  • PSU - Lenovo 280W PSU
  • MB - Lenovo Bantry CRB
  • HDD - 240GB SSD
  • Other fans - one (unsure of size) on the rear of the case

I can't access BIOS to view the temperatures as Lenovo (conveniently) doesn't show the CPU temperatures in the BIOS. It is pretty 'basic' at best.

Any ideas would be much appreciated! Thank you

Solution
If the cpu is thermal throttling:
-the cpu core values in Overdrive would be at 0 or some negative number
-if it sits there long enough, the system will shut off on you
-the mobo's cpu LED will also light up when the cpu is thermal throttling

71.3 - 55 = 16.3 cpu temperature in celcius
Yeah, that's not right... just remove the 16.3C thing.
The cpu warmed up a little bit, that's all. It's not throttling, from what I've seen so far.
Feb 4, 2021
Just to add to this, on idle AMD Overdrive is reporting that my PC is 55 degrees celcius within the thermal margin which I don't think is right (it would mean that the room is at 16 degrees which it most definitely is not!). Any ideas?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Just to add to this, on idle AMD Overdrive is reporting that my PC is 55 degrees celcius within the thermal margin which I don't think is right (it would mean that the room is at 16 degrees which it most definitely is not!). Any ideas?
I told you it counts down, remember? It does so starting from 71.3C.

I'm well aware that it's quite confusing. I've no idea why AMD went that route with their FM-AM cpus.

Feb 4, 2021
So with that it would just bring it back up to 0 when it is "throttling"?

If so it still doesn't tie up with the 55 degree idle thermal reading as:

Unless I am just not getting how the temperatures work but its how I understood it anyway (if I'm wrong let me know!).

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If the cpu is thermal throttling:
-the cpu core values in Overdrive would be at 0 or some negative number
-if it sits there long enough, the system will shut off on you
-the mobo's cpu LED will also light up when the cpu is thermal throttling

Yeah, that's not right... just remove the 16.3C thing.
The cpu warmed up a little bit, that's all. It's not throttling, from what I've seen so far.

Solution