A10 APU vs Fx 8370 with R9 290x

The007baron

Honorable
Jan 27, 2015
Here is a question that probably hasn't been asked too often, especially on this forum.

So i have an R9 290x and I am looking for some advice on my CPU. The point of my build is to run AAA games on a triple 24" Eyenfinity set up. I plan on overclocking the CPU regardless of the model I choose. And I plan on doing a fair amount of multitasking.

First off, lets get this out of the way. Don't recommend a Intel processor, this is solely an AMD build.

Now, the real question. Which option will run this set up better with the dedicated GPU.

Originally I had planned on using an overclocked Fx 8370 to run this setup with the option of adding another R9 290x in crossfire. However, with AMD announcing their new APU's, I am slightly worried about upgrade-ability. If I get a FX series processor will it be outdated within the next two years?

Next, will an A10 7850k be powerful enough to run this system. And if so, how will it compare to the FX processor? Will the APU be able to utilize the 8 GCN as CPU cores or will I be limiting myself to just the 4 cpu cores.

TL;DR:

Can the 7850K be used as a 12 core CPU while my R9 290x runs the graphics for a 5760x1080 gaming?

How would that compare to an overclocked Fx 8370 at 5.0GHz for gaming and multitasking?

Solution
"Can the 7850K be used as a 12 core CPU" No. Any apu will be a bottleneck for a 290x. Get an good motherboard and a good cooler along with an 83xx and overclock the hell out of it since you dont want to go with a faster Intel cpu.
just the 4 cores you can use I would have to believe since the rest are simply the gpu side.

eyefinity with a single card is really pushing it as well but I would say get a 8370 or 8350 even and overclock it

you really need 2 cards for eyfinity

bignastyid

Titan
"Can the 7850K be used as a 12 core CPU" No. Any apu will be a bottleneck for a 290x. Get an good motherboard and a good cooler along with an 83xx and overclock the hell out of it since you dont want to go with a faster Intel cpu.

Solution

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
AMD doesn't currently make a processor suitable for feeding two 290xs so if that's your intent and we have to stick to AMD recommendations then I recommend you wait for AMD's "Zen" core design to come out. Should be here in under two years.

To answer some of your questions. No, GCN cores are not CPU cores and can never be used as such. I'd buy the FX over the A10 if you're not using the GPU because it overclocks better. And seriously, if you actually want to use eyefinity get an i5 4690k at a minimum. And lastly an overclocked FX 8370 @ 5.0Ghz will be fine at desktop multitasking, but for gaming it will be slower than an Intel i3.

The007baron

Honorable
Jan 27, 2015

Thank you for the answer. I'm planning on a Asus Sabertooth and a NH-D15 to cool it. Plus 1.3 million case fans ;)

The007baron

Honorable
Jan 27, 2015

Thanks for the answer, glad to hear consistent info

I'm planning on getting a second R9 290x to crossfire in April or June or whenever the new R9 3xx series comes out and the 290x prices drop.

The007baron

Honorable
Jan 27, 2015

I'v heard bits and bobs about the "Zen" cores but i'm building my machine in the next month so if Zen does come out within the next two years there is the possibility of upgrading to that. In the meantime an FX processor will fill my needs, especially with multithreaded applications like Handbrake and game streaming

the i3 is not quicker unless the game only runs on 1 or 2 cores, games that can use all 4 modules/8 cores like bf4 the 8370 would be much faster