A2 Error Code after Overclocking CPU.

Sven__

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015
Hi, Hope everyone is having a good day.

This is on the MOBO Maximus IX CODE and a I-7 7700k

Recently I got this brand new PC (Excluding the GPU -- It's coming in the mail as we speak.). I decided to put together the parts I have now. I got everything put together and it lit up and I was able to get into the BIOS and tweak somethings. After this I was thinking I should Overclock my machine and see what my CPU can do (This is before updating my BIOS maybe that's it?). I set the CPU voltage to 2.820V and set the multiplier to 48 for 4.8GHz. I save it, but I don't exit and leave. I get a drink and come back to it Frozen so I shut down my PC and now only post into a black screen and the ERROR CODE A2 and sometimes A9.

What I have tried?

• Resetting CMOS
    Booting with Slow speed switch on
    Booted into safe mode
    I have unplugged my drives
    Checked if my Display Port was attached and plugged in

I have heard of flashing a BIOS, but how would I even do that without a screen?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

Solution

Anything can happen when semiconductors fry, depending on how they died: if you send 2.8V into the CPU and that 2.8V finds its way to the PCIe controller, everything connected to the CPU via PCIe or DMI might get fried. If the 2.8V gets to the memory controller, the DIMMs may get fried. If the core voltage shorts to ground, the VRM might get fried, etc.

But if you get to 'A2' code which stands for "no boot device" - or at least used to - then the CPU and RAM are at least sort-of-working since this means POST has completed and the BIOS is looking for a drive to boot from.

Sven__

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015

Maybe I am remembering wrong... Is there anyway for me to check? Maybe take out the CPU and boot without the CPU?

Fuck...................... Really hope I didn't do that.

InvalidError

Titan
Trying to boot without the CPU won't get you anywhere, you'll just get a diagnostic code for no CPU since the BIOS needs a CPU to execute and pump out the other boot codes as it goes. Reset the CMOS and if that doesn't work, you may want to try a Pentium or something just to verify that the board itself still works.

If Asus hasn't changed its code table, A2 should stand for no boot device, which means your PC is running, just not finding anything to boot into. If you're not seeing anything, try a different display output on the GPU or motherboard.

Sven__

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015

Can the MOBO break too from over volting?

InvalidError

Titan

Anything can happen when semiconductors fry, depending on how they died: if you send 2.8V into the CPU and that 2.8V finds its way to the PCIe controller, everything connected to the CPU via PCIe or DMI might get fried. If the 2.8V gets to the memory controller, the DIMMs may get fried. If the core voltage shorts to ground, the VRM might get fried, etc.

But if you get to 'A2' code which stands for "no boot device" - or at least used to - then the CPU and RAM are at least sort-of-working since this means POST has completed and the BIOS is looking for a drive to boot from.

Solution