[SOLVED] A320 Bios fails when i change FHC ?

Apr 30, 2022
I downgraded my A320M A PRO AGESA2 bios to AGESA1 and before that i was able to change FHC to whatever if i want but whenever i change the cpu ratio or cpu FHC monitor gives me a black screen while pc is running so i reset cmos and everything get backs to normal. When i set the FHC to a higher clock my cpu scored higher in stress tests and actually gave me some fps boost. Why did that happen and how do i fix it? (Ryzen 5 3400g)

Solution
My ryzen 5 can boost up to 4.2ghz but A320 stops at 3.999 ghz somehow.. i believe my case fans are pretty i good i got wraith prism stock cooler from ryzen 7 and 3 xigmatek fans my temp when pc is free is 30 35s when benchmarking it goes up to 65C
How are you checking for boosts?

Ryzen only boosts one core at a time to maximum clocks, and does it rather briefly. It won't run that high under a constant load and only when the CPU is really quite cool. You have to use a utility like HWInfo64 and adjust the polling period for 200-500mS. Then monitor the clocks of each core right after startup while the system is settling down. It's actually running several of it's background startup apps in succession, they're pretty lightweight...

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to state the BIOS version you're on at the time of writing and what you downgraded from.

You're advised to be on BIOS updates, not downgrades to help see improvements in system's. If the system was operational in it's current state and isn't causing any issues, then you're advised to avoid downgrades and to leave things alone...if it ain't broke, don't fix it as the saying goes.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
Apr 30, 2022
You might want to state the BIOS version you're on at the time of writing and what you downgraded from.

You're advised to be on BIOS updates, not downgrades to help see improvements in system's. If the system was operational in it's current state and isn't causing any issues, then you're advised to avoid downgrades and to leave things alone...if it ain't broke, don't fix it as the saying goes.

it was in beta and some users said you might have a problem with it so i downgraded from 7C51v162(Beta version AMD ComboAm4v2PI 1.2.0.5. ) to - 7C51v13 (AMD ComboPI1.0.0.4)

it was in beta and some users said you might have a problem with it so i downgraded from 7C51v162(Beta version AMD ComboAm4v2PI 1.2.0.5. ) to - 7C51v13 (AMD ComboPI1.0.0.4)
What is the 'FHC monitor' setting? That acronym is unfamiliar to me.

A320 chipsets don't allow overclocking CPU's so it makes sense changing CPU ratios wouldn't work.

Most all of the latest releases of AMD BIOS's are being held in BETA status across many manufacturers for some reason. I've never read why, I suspect maybe because either AMD (the source of AGESA code) or manufacturers are not fully testing them for all processor generations.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022
What is the 'FHC monitor' setting? That acronym is unfamiliar to me.

A320 chipsets don't allow overclocking CPU's so it makes sense changing CPU ratios wouldn't work.

Most all of the latest releases of AMD BIOS's are being held in BETA status across many manufacturers for some reason. I've never read why, I suspect maybe because either AMD (the source of AGESA code) or manufacturers are not fully testing them for all processor generations.

FCH is the base clock of the cpu and when i installed beta AGESA 2 it let me increase the base clock and succesfully booted up. I set it to 103.5 or something more than that my pc was suddenly freezing but i tested it on cinebench and get much higher score. I know A320 doesnt allow overclocking but somehow base clock worked in latest beta version but there was no cpu ratio
(sorry i mean FCH)

FCH is the base clock of the cpu and when i installed beta AGESA 2 it let me increase the base clock and succesfully booted up. I set it to 103.5 or something more than that my pc was suddenly freezing but i tested it on cinebench and get much higher score. I know A320 doesnt allow overclocking but somehow base clock worked in latest beta version but there was no cpu ratio
(sorry i mean FCH)
Ahhh...so it sounds like the main, or FCH, bus clock which is the source clock used to derive all other bus clocks in the system.

One thing to remember about bus clock overclocking is it changes everything all at once, even PCIe bus clock and others that have nothing to do with performance. Many (if not most) modern SSD's, HDD's and GPU's are very sensitive to PCIe clock speed so that could be the problem you were having. It also changes memory clocks so you have to make the usual timing and voltage changes there to keep it stable.

Top-end motherboards use an external PLL instead of the chipset to generate certain bus clocks so they don't have the same problems when they do it. A320 is quite obviously not a high-end motherboard.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022
I swear i increased my fps with FCH.
i tested it on ETS 2 with my stock base clock at ultra i had 20 to 30fps but after changing fch i played in 50 to 55fps and in some areas 60. Voltage settings doesnt work in my motherboard besides auto, My pc crashes immediately and i reset cmos..

Quite right. Downgrades can break you. Some agesa changes are internal to chipset firmware microcode. And down grades might break compatibility.

À320 is in no way suitable for overclocking. None what so ever.

Apr 30, 2022
Quite right. Downgrades can break you. Some agesa changes are internal to chipset firmware microcode. And down grades might break compatibility.

À320 is in no way suitable for overclocking. None what so ever.

I downgrade from bios and check if its compatiable and i download my own bios version so i can get it back just to be sure
Youre right tho A320m s overclock is pretty limited and doesnt let me push through 4ghz (my boost mode is 4.2ghz) that sucks
Ryzen 5 3400g

Apr 30, 2022
AMD still must let us overclock in such low budget mainboards some countries like me struggle to buy them (it was a mistake buying A320 though i should have been bought B350 (b450s are kinda expensive)
You all people say its unstable but A320s let Athlon processors to overclock but ryzens are locked.. Which explains why its a firmware limit

I wouldnt want to mess up my computer but gpu prices are 100 times more expensive here some of the modern latest cards are a low end cars price our last chance is to change government or we ll done

AMD still must let us overclock in such low budget mainboards some countries like me struggle to buy them (it was a mistake buying A320 though i should have been bought B350 (b450s are kinda expensive)
You all people say its unstable but A320s let Athlon processors to overclock but ryzens are locked.. Which explains why its a firmware limit

I wouldnt want to mess up my computer but gpu prices are 100 times more expensive here some of the modern latest cards are a low end cars price our last chance is to change government or we ll done
I really don't think you lose much by not being able to overclock on A320. AMD has found a way to push the Zen architecture as hard as the silicon allows without it. Even with an ultra-high end motherboard it doesn't really help much, if at all.

For a 3400G APU, though, even A320 boards do allow overclocking the iGPU which does a lot more for gaming performance. The same is true for memory as faster memory helps the iGPU for gaming. A320 boards are ideal when economy is a prime factor in the buy decision and gaming is the use case.

One other thing that can help more than you might think is cooling, the processor especially but also case ventilation. All Ryzens are very temperature sensitive in that they keep boosting aggressively right up to a certain temperature for any given processing load. Better cooling is like overclocking in that it just performs better even though the temperature doesn't show it. So if you can scrape and save for anything it would be better cooling and case fans first.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022
I really don't think you lose much by not being able to overclock on A320. AMD has found a way to push the Zen architecture as hard as the silicon allows without it. Even with an ultra-high end motherboard it doesn't really help much, if at all.

For a 3400G APU, though, even A320 boards do allow overclocking the iGPU which does a lot more for gaming performance. The same is true for memory as faster memory helps the iGPU for gaming. A320 boards are ideal when economy is a prime factor in the buy decision and gaming is the use case.

One other thing that can help more than you might think is cooling, the processor especially but also case ventilation. All Ryzens are very temperature sensitive in that they keep boosting aggressively right up to a certain temperature for any given processing load. Better cooling is like overclocking in that it just performs better even though the temperature doesn't show it. So if you can scrape and save for anything it would be better cooling and case fans first.

My ryzen 5 can boost up to 4.2ghz but A320 stops at 3.999 ghz somehow.. i believe my case fans are pretty i good i got wraith prism stock cooler from ryzen 7 and 3 xigmatek fans my temp when pc is free is 30 35s when benchmarking it goes up to 65C

How are you checking for boosts?

Ryzen only boosts one core at a time to maximum clocks, and does it rather briefly. It won't run that high under a constant load and only when the CPU is really quite cool. You have to use a utility like HWInfo64 and adjust the polling period for 200-500mS. Then monitor the clocks of each core right after startup while the system is settling down. It's actually running several of it's background startup apps in succession, they're pretty lightweight so you may see several boosts of your best cores. You can see it in a graph for each core or just look for max clock speed in the tabular display.

Solution
Apr 30, 2022
Thanks man ill try it
by the way im not checking boost but my cpus max should be 3.70ghz but in boost mode it goes up to 4.2ghz
But my motherboard seems like doesnt support it at all.. People get way higher benchmarks than me because of this 200mhz difference

I cant believe it it actually worked i get much more fps because of this setting
i tested it on ets 2

Last edited: