A6 7400K Vs. A6 5400K

Solution
Actually Kaveris clock by clock are faster then a Quad FX at same speed. The transistor process is smaller then vishera. But yes its a dual core, try a quad kaveri or godovari, make good little steam boxes. BUT unless it was say 40 or 50 dollars. At current price Id wait for new APUs
Ok, we will rephrase the 7400k would suck marginally less. Neither of them are worth the money spent on them trying to use them for gaming or well anything

ADDED:
Also you are talking about an FM2 cpu and an FM2 plus so your motherboard may or may not even support the 7400k

0ldsch00l

Notable
May 9, 2017
Actually Kaveris clock by clock are faster then a Quad FX at same speed. The transistor process is smaller then vishera. But yes its a dual core, try a quad kaveri or godovari, make good little steam boxes. BUT unless it was say 40 or 50 dollars. At current price Id wait for new APUs

Solution

Yep in single core only applications (which games are not) the Kaveri platform is better then the 2012 Vishera platform so yes at ONLY single core tasks that A6 is better then the LOWEST cpu in the Vishera platform......certainly not anything to brag about.

APU/FM2 was a dead end platform when it was released. You save a whole $50-75 on the build, and after you dump another $300 or more into a "quad core" FM2, water cooling and high frequency ram you can almost but not really equal a core i3 from 2014. So in a nutshell the budget platform quickly costs you much more and you max out at not quite the middle of the road vs intel or even AMDs other platform. To some it up $350 APU build + $300 in upgrades < $550 build

Jmurph01

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017

Honestly to be totally real with you, I really do not want the latest and greatest CPUs. I can really deal with not having as high FPS as everyone else, and I really do not need to dump my money into some high-end CPUs in which I don't even need, because I don't play high-end/high-spec games that require that. My end goal is to get an AMD Athlon X4 860K - because it really is not that expensive, and combined with my R7 260X, it will play any game I have on my system. I refuse to spend my money on parts I do not need for my PC...

If that is your desire then that is totally fine for you, but you cant just assume that the OP shares this same perspective. The reality of the matter is that FM2 has very large limitations and lots and lots of users come to these forums trying to get more performance out of them before realizing the inevitable. If the OP fully understands the limitations and wants to get that platform then that is their decesion; but I am not going to sell the weak platform as this super capabile awesome CPU and make the OP find out the hard way in year or two when they want to upgrade performance that anything impactfull will require a full motheboard/cpu change.

There is a difference between giving someone information to make a decision, and justifying your own purchase/views.
Both you and I know that both of those A6 processors are going to be horrible for gaming, for the games that it will even play it will only do it on low at 1080p, medium for 720p in order to get playable fps.
A g4560 build with even a GT 730 would be better today for only a little more, and would provide the OP with options for an upgrade path in the future.