A68M-ITX & A10-7860K --- dual graphics?

Muradin007

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013
Hi there,

I read about AMD's opportunity to have what they call dual graphics. That;s interesting, although they usually talk about using a dedicated card.

Would it be possible to have a motherboard (A68M-ITX) and a processor (A10-7860K) to take advantage of this?

They seem to have the same onboard/integrated GPU so I thought this might be an interesting setup for a mini-itx build.

Do you think it would work?

Solution
Hi mate,

If you still didn't find the answer to your question - i have built several AMD APU "A10-78xx" Systems in the past. First thing you need to understand right: The compatible Motherboard (neither A68 Series nor A88 Series) has an "onboard" video card. Where did you get that info? The APU itself, e.g. the A10-7860K, has the integrated GPU (R7 Series), not the motherboard. What works is, that these Motherboards supports "Dual Graphics" Mode, meaning you can plug in a "Hybrid Crossfire" compatible Graphixcard (this is called a "dedicated" GPU) with the same Graphic Processor like the iGPU of the A10-7860k ("Oland" Chip). That would be the R7 240 or the R7 250. Just check up some GPU-Z Screenshots of those Graphixcards and you'll...

APU rocks

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016
Hi mate,

If you still didn't find the answer to your question - i have built several AMD APU "A10-78xx" Systems in the past. First thing you need to understand right: The compatible Motherboard (neither A68 Series nor A88 Series) has an "onboard" video card. Where did you get that info? The APU itself, e.g. the A10-7860K, has the integrated GPU (R7 Series), not the motherboard. What works is, that these Motherboards supports "Dual Graphics" Mode, meaning you can plug in a "Hybrid Crossfire" compatible Graphixcard (this is called a "dedicated" GPU) with the same Graphic Processor like the iGPU of the A10-7860k ("Oland" Chip). That would be the R7 240 or the R7 250. Just check up some GPU-Z Screenshots of those Graphixcards and you'll see.

Or you simply check up some Reviews of these APUs and especially read the Dual Graphics Section:
http://www.eteknix.com/kaveri-hybrid-crossfire-a10-7850k-a10-7700k-r7-240-250/2/

If you plugged in the dGPU the Graphics Driver Software (currently called Crimson Edition) should automatically identify your discrete GPU.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrziYlNXZJE

TLDR:
1) Dual Graphics = APU A10-7860k + dGPU R7 240/250 (Oland Chip).
2) The Mainboard you have does not have an "onboard video card". None of those APU compatible Mainboards has - why would there be one if the APU itself is a combination of CPU + iGPU !?!

Solution

Muradin007

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to answer!

You're right, when I saw integrated graphics I was thinking it was the motherboard that had the integrated graphics, not the processor.

I ended up going with an Intel solution instead~