A7A266 Boot problems

Hello everybody !

First, sorry for my bad english, it's not my mother tongue :)

So :
A7A266 mainboard,
256 + 512 SDRam,
Thunderbird 1000 CPU (or 1100 ?),
matrox g450 graphic card,
linkworld 230~ power supply,
maxtor 30GB HD,
Pionner DVD-Rom
no floppy (after my tests)

This configuration was correct and turn with no problem...

Now my brother has made some tests with other components, and when he
try to rebuild initial configuration, some problems appears...

I have had many problems with "chassis" jumper and keyboard
deconnection, but now, it's resolved... But the POST stop after listing
devices...

If i remember, the bios version is 1003.

I have tried some manipulations on bios, but no way, the boot is always
stopped before CD-Rom or HD boot...

If anyone has a solution, any suggestion, or url, it would be great :)

Thierry

titouille wrote:

> I have tried some manipulations on bios, but no way, the boot is always
> stopped before CD-Rom or HD boot...

The A7A has boot problems, but those are mainly not getting to POST at
all. Reconnect all IDE devices, starting with just the boot-HD. Make
sure the BIOS is set to auto-detect the devices, and check they are all
connected to the right IDE channel using the right cable, and the
master-slave setting is correct. If it still hangs on boot with just the
boot-HD connected, at least you have ruled out one of the other devices
is causing the problem.

Best way to go is to see if it'll boot with a minimum of hardware
connected, and then add one device at a time. And keep checking all the
cables are plugged in firmly.

RJT a écrit :

> The A7A has boot problems, but those are mainly not getting to POST at
> all. Reconnect all IDE devices, starting with just the boot-HD. Make
> sure the BIOS is set to auto-detect the devices,

If I'm right, I do set off to PnP detect to let the bios auto-detect the
devices

and check they are all
> connected to the right IDE channel using the right cable, and the
> master-slave setting is correct. If it still hangs on boot with just the
> boot-HD connected, at least you have ruled out one of the other devices
> is causing the problem.

Thank for your informations :)

I'm not an expert in pc building, but I know the basis... I have tried
to boot with a minimum of hardware... I have disconnected all devices,
and boot with only HD, graphic card and one memory stick, but no changes...

> Best way to go is to see if it'll boot with a minimum of hardware
> connected, and then add one device at a time. And keep checking all the
> cables are plugged in firmly.

In this optic, before I write the first post in this forum, I have tried
to remove maximum hardware...

I don't know precisely that my brother has made with it, but if the boot
stop just after the second screen, it's possible that my mainboard is
defect ??

Thierry